Monday, June 25, 2012

Weekend Wrap-Up



Weekend Wrap-up at a Defined Life

 

It was a pretty busy weekend at the end of a busy week. 

 

 

photo (2)

We had more corn on the cob this weekend … or maybe I should say that I had more corn on the cob this weekend. DH had a tooth removed on Friday and wasn’t up to eating corn on the cob.  He had a difficult time of it Friday evening, but thankfully he’s doing just fine now.

 

photo (6)

I’ve reported that we’ve had trouble with the ice maker in our refrigerator … without any warning, it would stop making ice. We could get water … but no ice. It stopped again this weekend … this time I decided to do a little investigating … and I think I found the problem. There was an ice cube stuck in the feeder … I couldn’t get it out, but after a little bit, it occurred to me that I could get the blow dryer and melt that pesky ice cube. It didn’t take long after that for the ice maker to start making and feeding ice cubes.  

 

photo (7)

Our hibiscus has sprouted its first bloom!  We put the hibiscus in the basement every winter and bring it out in May when the temperatures stay at or above 50.  Every spring, it loses all but 2 or 3 leaves and recovers from the shock and produces lovely blooms (although this year’s first bloom might not be considered too lovely … not sure what caused the holes in the petals).

 

photo (9)

I didn’t get any quilting done this weekend.  But we started and got a good bit of work done on a puzzle.  (I don’t expect this week to be nearly as busy as last week, so I plan to get back to work on quilting my log cabin quilt.)

 

I also had the 4 Ts all day Saturday as DD had an Initials, Inc. party and DSIL had to work.  Red heart

18 comments:

  1. Hibiscus is one of my favorite flower after we took a trip to Hawaii. I didn't know you could keep it in your basement and bring it out again. I usually just throw it out when it starts to die. When its in the basement, do you water it? maybe that sounds like a crazy question or do you just let it be till May?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We water it once a week or so. We've done that for the last 2-3 winters ... I always wonder, when it starts dropping its leaves, if it didn't survive the winter in the basement, but it's always bounded back. I think it helps that we full-sized windows in our basement, so it gets some sunlight down there.

      Delete
    2. I also love hibiscus - we had them in our yard where I grew up in La Mirada, CA. I'm now in Indiana. Thanks for the tips :)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you participated! I didn't this week...had a boring weekend, and the idea for my today's post hit me, so I went with it!
    I love hibiscus...they're so pretty and tropical!

    ReplyDelete
  3. smart thinking with the hair dryer!!!
    OUCH... anytime I heard of dental things, I cringe...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Corn on the cob just says "summer" to me. YUM!

    Our fridge won't dispense water - just ice. Good thinking to get out the hair dryer. I can remember using one to defrost freezers years ago. I'm sure that was a "safe" idea for us!!!

    Your hibiscus is such a pretty color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great though abouts using the hair dryer. That made me laugh out loud so thank you for todays first laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the beautiful, and delicate pink hibiscus blossom!!! They're a favorite of mine. And you, dear one, were BRILLIANT aiming that blow dryer to the ice maker. High 5!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hibiscus are so lovely! I have an orange one in my flower bed and it's so pretty to look at. Have you ever tried hibiscus tea? I'm going to make some today- it's sort of like fruit punch. Glad the husband is doing well after his trip to the dentist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the hibiscus bloom is beautiful! I love that pink.

    Glad you "fixed" your icemaker. This is not the time of year to be without plenty of ice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't had any corn yet this year but I plan to have some soon. Yes we get ice stuff from time to time too. Usually if I take the ice tub out I can get it unstuck. You hibiscus looks beautiful. We have them here year round but don't have any at this house. Looks like you got a lot done on the puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We've had the same problem with our old ice maker before! I guess it's a common occurance.

    Your hibiscus is lovely. They are one of my favorite flowers! I used to plant them around our pool deck every summer, and pink was always my favorite color.

    Glad hubby's mouth is feeling better, hopefully he'll join you for some corn on the cob soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i have been trying to catch up a little bit with everyone. I give you a huge high 5 for figuring out the ice maker dilemma. Good for you!! I love the hibiscus flower...soo pretty. I had a huge one full of deep red blooms at my old house. It bloomed for months it seemed. But then I guess California is always warm? Glad your hubby's mouth is better. Enjoy the rest of your week...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea with the blow dryer! Sounds so simple, but I don't think I would have thought of it! Thanks for joining in today and have a great weekk!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I tried to leave a comment earlier today. Wanted to tell you I was fighting with the ice machine here too today! And I finally got mine going too. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very creative to use the hair dryer to fix your fridge problem! great progress on the puzzle!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  15. We had corn on the cob last night. We eat it most nights in the summer -so good! Congrats on your creative repair : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello,
    I am joining in with Stephani from A Defined Life. Your blog is lovely and I am glad to read your weekend update. I love Hybiscus...I'm not much of a gardner but so enjoy flowers. Maybe when I retire.
    blessings
    ~a

    ReplyDelete

I am SO glad you stopped by! No proving that you're a robot here ... I want to hear what you have to say! ;-)