Sunday, January 27, 2013

Trip Report–Part Two


Sunday morning finally came … all the planning and dreaming were finally coming to fruition.  We stayed at a hotel that offered a park and cruise package, so we met in the lobby at 9:00 for the shuttle to the Port.  There were others in our shuttle … a couple from Tampa who’d cruised many times before and gave us lots of good advice and a family from Edmonton who were going to cruise on Disney.  I don’t think any of them were as excited as we were.  Winking smile

So you can imagine how we felt when we saw this:
photo (2)-001

We were so overwhelmed by the sheer size and beauty of the ship … it was hard to take it all in.  We walked down the Promenade.
Cruise & Orange Beach - January, 2012 009Cruise & Orange Beach - January, 2012 011Cruise & Orange Beach - January, 2012 013
(this one was taken from inside the elevator)

We then checked out the Lido Deck where we grabbed lunch  and checked out our view of the Port.  After a little bit, we were able to access our stateroom.
Cruise & Orange Beach - January, 2012 004-001Cruise & Orange Beach - January, 2012 005

After we had settled in, we decided to sit out on our balcony … and noticed that we were moving!  Our cruise was officially under way.  It didn’t take long before we were truly out to sea.
Cruise & Orange Beach - January, 2012 006

Before we knew it, it was time to head down to the dining room (I can’t believe I never thought to take my camera down to the dining room … although I suppose that it doesn’t matter … I suspect that my mediocre photography skills wouldn’t have been able to capture the beauty of it all).  We were assigned to a table of 8 … there were 2 couples already seated when we arrived.  Just as we were making introductions, the wife of the one of the couples proceeded to make a scene about the table assignment – turns out she was a retired waitress and didn’t want to sit that close to the servers’ station.  Eye rolling smile  After the drama died down, it was just us and another couple (we never did see the fourth couple all week) … and while it would have been nice to have gotten to know some other people as well, it was nice to have the table to ourselves … we got to know the other couple very well, better I suspect than we would have had our table been full. 

By the time we made it up to our stateroom, we were exhausted and ready to call it a day … a full and exciting one. 

Stay tuned … there’s more to come.

18 comments:

  1. I was amazed at the size of our cruise ship too. I felt a bit sea sick most of the trip though. My belly was upset as if I ate something that didn't settle right with me. I loved the cruise, but don't know if I'd do another one because of the sea sickness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just got caught up on the trip posts. Wasn't it nice to start out a day early and get rested from the drive before setting sail? It's probably just as well that the 4th couple went to a different table. No one needs a spoil sport while on vacation! Can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am enjoying your cruise photos and commentary. Sounds like such fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about the size of those cruise ships...they're monsters. Yet, elegant and beautiful at the same time.

    This is a special treat to have you share your cruise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks and sounds absolutely amazing! I have never been so I am excited to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The dining room is always interesting. Sometimes you get nice people with whom you have much in common. Other times...not so much! One thing we enjoyed about our Hawaiian cruise was there were several restaurants where you were seated at tables for two. Look forward to hearing more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've been on three cruises and each time I was awed by the size and beauty of the ship. I suppose the crew is used to drama by some, sorry it had to be at your table ;( Looking forward to "the rest of the story"! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure we ever took photos of our ship, but will next summer. Did you have to dress up every night? Our last one was casual but I think this next one will be more dressy. Love reading about your time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like a beautiful ship. There is nothing like being rocked to sleep like that. Isn't it a shame that some people have to be so unhappy about things?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay you went on a really NICE cruise - beautiful inside and your state room - ooh la la!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I just finished reading Parts I and II and so enjoyed sharing in all your fun. Cruises are just so much fun and what a beautiful ship you were on. What cruise line did you go with? We are looking into what they call small ship cruises for 2014, only about 150 people on each ship. Our first cruise with Celebrity had over 3000 people and ours last year with Holland America had about 1500.

    Happy week and I look forward to PartIII.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Was this your first cruise ever?

    I've never taken one, and have been a bit "leary" about feeling claustrophobic in the cabins on board ship - - - but I think I'd do just FINE in that one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, this makes me want to book a cruise so bad! We LOVE them :) We have done the assigned tables for dinner and have found that we enjoy the "anytime" dinning room. You can have a table for 2 if we just want to be us, or a larger table if we feel sociable :) Can't wait to see more pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So far, so good! Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh what fun you are going to have Kathy! I've never been on a cruise but I've heard they are like being pampered like a queen, with great food and lots of activities and entertainment - what's not to love??? I'm looking forward to eaves dropping on your trip as you share with us :*D Bon Voyage!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. After sailing this time around on Celebrity, I still say that Royal Caribbean is at the top of my list. There's just so much for families to do together. Yes, that first day is exhausting. You, practically, fall into bed at night. I'm so looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loving it so far. I can't believe how big your room looks and your own balcony...awesome! I've cruised twice and we were always below sea level, so we never had a balcony.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never been on a cruise, but you're making me want to! Sorry about the couple at your table that made a fuss, but it's probably much better for you that they were moved!

    ReplyDelete

I am SO glad you stopped by! No proving that you're a robot here ... I want to hear what you have to say! ;-)