Sunday, March 9, 2014

Slow Sunday Stitching

Finally ... I was able to spend some time with my needle and thread on Saturday. I'm sure they missed me ... I know I missed them!  Ha! 
I was able to move my hoop yesterday ... of course, I've got several more moves to make before I can call this quilt done, but slow and steady wins the race, right?  Besides, as I always say, if I wanted fast, I'd go to Target and buy a quilt off the shelf. ;-)

I enjoyed the quilt show yesterday morning ... I was encouraged to see several hand quilted quilts.  I would have liked to have taken a few photos to share ... but photos weren't allowed. :-(

My first issue of Primitive Quilts arrived ... I love traditional blocks from what I call primitive fabrics (like Kansas Troubles). I saw an appliquéd pillow in the magazine ... I've never done any appliqué work although I would like to learn how.  This pillow was done in wool, although I think that I'd like to try it with cotton.  Its gentle curves and primitive nature make me wonder if this might be a good beginning appliqué project. 


Our weather was 180 degrees different Saturday from Friday ... windy, cold, overcast ... ugh.  Thankfully the sun and warmer weather returns today, although we won't be able to enjoy it ... we will be inside all day at the rescheduled swim meet. 

Speaking of, the meet takes place about an hour and a half from here, so I've got my hexagon project all packed up for some stitching en route to the meet ... and between events ... I'm going to link up with Kathy over at Slow Sunday Stitching


Slow Sunday Stitching


Have a blessed Sunday!
Kathy

18 comments:

  1. That pillow is cute ! Pretty colors and design....go for it! :)

    Happy Stitching today :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt is just so gorgeous. I have the magazine too and that pillow was one of my favorite projects! Hope to see you make it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun today! Glad the quilt show was fun. I'm sure you would love appliqué especially wool appliqué. Hope you try it one of these days. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute pillow and progress is always good. Slow and steady wins the race. As for a beginner project, the pieces may be a bit small for a beginner project. Often wool is used cause it doesn't fray so it just gets stitched down, no need to turn under the edges.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So fun when you get to move the hoop eh??!!
    Enjoy your Sunday... thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you have never done applique I would start with a wool project. You don't have to turn under the edge just stitch it down. Then proceed to cotton!! The pillow is adorable and would look lovely done in wool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have fun today at the meet. Your quilt looks so beautiful and I think that pillow would be fun to make!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilt is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty! I'd start with something a little easier for cotton appliqué. How about Dotty Daisy. #89 of the midget blocks from Sentimental Stitches.com
    http://sentimentalstitches.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/midget-blocks-88.pdf

    Or even draw a simple shape (from coloring books are great!) like an orange peel that I was working on. Nice and easy to play with. I got an apple from a coloring book - good shape to play with too.
    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't be away from my stitching too long either. (I just got my Primitive issue as well)I'm enjoying watching your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kathy, I know that you are enjoying the swim meet today. It is beautiful here-nice and sunny but more snow is forecast for Tuesday-ugh!
    Love the quilt; sounds like the show was fun. Have a great evening.
    Hugs, Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your stitching looks so pretty. I hope the meet went well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are doing such pretty work on that Storm quilt. Love the blue and white, it always seems so cool and clean, doesn't it? Enjoy your warmer weather while you can. We're on a roller coaster with weather this year, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilt looks fantastic. I like that you hand quilt, I will always think it looks the best. I do love that magazine. I go through mine over and over because there are so many quilts I would love to make.
    I am glad you had a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your quilt us so pretty and the pillow is cute...I bet you could do it easily! Glad you enjoy the show and I hope you can find a guild to join...I know you would enjoy the camaraderie and the encouragement that would afford. The fabrics you bought are pretty. Went shopping last night with my DIL for some for a quilt for our grandson due in May. I think it will make up nicely! Hope your jury duty doesn't mess up your trip to HH...that would be a shame!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a blue and white Storm at Sea on my bed right now that my Mom hand quilted. : )
    Love that little pillow. Now I need to go check it out in the magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cute pillow.

    Hope you all had a great time at the swim meet.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my - I never tire of seeing your lovely blue-and-white SAS!!! Gently, like the soft waves of a boat, you can stitch along and enjoy the journey :)

    That's an adorable pillow, and I would think it would be a wonderful first applique project. You should have seen my first project - totally NOT appropriate for a first-timer LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete

I am SO glad you stopped by! No proving that you're a robot here ... I want to hear what you have to say! ;-)