Wednesday, August 31, 2016

A Quick Check-In

I'm still taking a blogging break, but I did want to pop in and give you all an update.

On the 19th, I had my monthly blood draw, and my cancer markers came back high ... Dr. Powell was concerned about the increase and ordered a CT scan last Friday. Yesterday DD, DH and I met with him to discuss the results. As we suspected, the cancer is back ... the good news is that it's early and there isn't a lot of cancer or fluid built up.

Dr. Powell recommended that I participate in a clinical trial designed for women like me whose cancer came back within 6 months of finishing the first round of chemo. The options in the study include oral meds that target the cancer cells or standard chemo. The treatment I will receive will be chosen randomly. I'll be having several tests over the next week to ensure that I'm healthy enough to participate and establish baseline levels for future labwork. I will be closely monitored and can withdraw if it becomes obvious that the treatment I'm receiving isn't helping. Not to worry, though, as there are still lots of other treatments available.

We're hoping that we'll still be able to go to Hilton Head as planned next month, but it's already looking like we'll be leaving later than originally planned. Obviously our priority is to get this cancer under control.

I would really appreciate your prayers that the treatment will be effective and that I'll tolerate the treatment with minimal side effects.

Sunday afternoon I headed back to my sewing room. If you all remember, I've been debating what to make next. I had so many ideas that I was suffering from "analysis paralysis" ... plus many of my choices would require some stash enhancement (aka a trip to Homestead Hearth). As I was checking Facebook Sunday morning, I saw a granny square quilt that I fell in love with. It was an "aha" moment ... #1 it is a perfect scrappy quilt, so I could use my stash - #2 I have a 2" (finished) square die so cutting my scraps into usable pieces would be easy peasy - #3 it will be perfect for quick and easy chain piecing which will be perfect considering I may not have large blocks of time to spend in the sewing room (what with getting ready to move). I pieced together 3 blocks Sunday afternoon. Here are two of those blocks.

I hope that whatever you have planned for today includes a little something that brings you joy ... have a great day!
Kathy

22 comments:

  1. sorry to hear this news Kathy not what you had hoped for sure. I hope the next line of treatment helps. Has your doctor said anything about a hormone treatment? My niece has ovarian cancer that she had surgery for twice then went on a hormone treatment and it hasn't come back for the last year and a half now - if you need more info I can find out from her

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are in my thoughts and prayers! ((Hugs)) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your posts Kathy. Will be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is disappointing news, Kathy, especially in light of the low marker in your last blood test. I hope (and will pray that) you continue to feel well, the treatment you receive will be effective, and that you'll have no or minimal side effects.

    Your blocks are beautiful. Will you use the four golden brown squares in the same placement in every block?

    Prayers for you and your family!

    Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! Will be thinking of you and hope the levels go down quickly so you can enjoy that beach vacation. I think you picked the perfect pattern. Your blocks look great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My prayers are with you Kathy! Sounds like you are in great hands and have a great attitude. Love your granny squares! May God bless you and your family thru these difficult times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You will continue to be in my prayers - darn old cancer. I'm glad you still have options and I know you will be closely monitored in the clinical trial. I'm hoping your trip will be as planned. Good Luck and stay in touch. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will be praying for you every day, Kathy! I admire the way you have handled this whole cancer challenge. Hang in there, my friend!
    Great block you have chosen to make. Will you be making the gold (cheddar?--monitors do not create colors equally) a constant in each block? Email me if you need more of that color and can't make a stash enhancement run. I should be able to supply you with some--I buy it wherever I see it! : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are in my prayers. We don't get to choose the things that happen to us health wise but we do get to choose how we respond. I love your positive attitude. Take it easy with the moving chores.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, you are so inspiring in your attitude Kathy. I am saddened by this news and pray that the treatment will STOP it in it's tracks. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been tempted to do the granny squares--love how yours are looking! I'm keeping you in my thoughts and sending cyber hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know I'll continue praying sweet friend!!! And I think the Granny Square will be perfect! I've got one of those on my bucket list :*)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have kept you in my prayers, Kathy, and will continue with even more. I'm sure it was hard news to hear - for you and your family. Sending hugs with the prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kathy, I am so sorry to hear that, but you are strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. I believe you will kick this thing for good! I am praying for you, my dear friend. (And I like how you're doing those Granny Square blocks!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Praying for you, sweet Kathy...remember, GOD IS ABLE!!! Hugs!:)))

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hoping things are improving for you ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I will be praying that the choices made are the answers to your prayers and that you will be free of this terrible thing called Cancer. You will be in my thoughts and I wish you well. Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You've been on my mind lately. Hope you are doing well and I'll be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just found this post today. Don't know how I missed it. Praying for you.

    Love the granny squares!

    ReplyDelete

I am SO glad you stopped by! No proving that you're a robot here ... I want to hear what you have to say! ;-)