Friday, November 12, 2010

Flashback Friday - Veterans Day edition



Were/Are either of your parents or other family members active military personnel or veterans? What branch? When did they serve; was it during wartime or peacetime? Did they share much about their experiences with you or others? When you were growing up, was the USA (or your country, for those outside the US) involved in a war? What do you remember about it and how did it impact you? Are you, your spouse, or any of your children veterans?


Neither one of my parents served in the military. My father was a farmer and thus exempted from conscription during WWII. No one else in my immediate family are veterans. My maternal grandfather served in WWI in the cavalry ... he helped care for the horses in France.


When I was growing up, it was peacetime ... although that was during the height of the cold war (I was 10 when the Bay of Pigs Invasion was launched), so the term "peacetime" is not a very accurate description of the time.


I was in high school and college during the Viet Nam war.  It was a time of protest ... my protest was not against the men and women serving in Viet Nam nor even against the purpose for the war ... my protest was against the "establishment" whose response to the Kent State shooting was callousness best exemplified by the comment that "when dissent turns to violence, it invites tragedy".  I pray that our country will never know another time of division and conflict like the late 60's/early 70's.






Today is DH's birthday ... a fairly significant one ... in 5 years, he'll be eligible for Medicare. :P Although I've already shared my gratitude for the gift of my husband, I can't let his birthday go by without expressing how thankful I am for him.

My DH has a true servant's heart ... if someone needs something done, my DH will do his best to help. If I had been given the assignment, 25 years ago or more, of writing up the "qualifications" for a suitable hubby, I couldn't have done a better job than to have described my DH. God (like always) knew exactly what he was doing when he brought us together ... and He's still using DH to teach me some important lessons (like patience ... thanks for the reminder, DD :x). I don't have the words (nor the time ;) ) to be able to adequately express all that he means to me ... other than to say that God truly blessed my socks off when He brought DH into my life. :x :x :x

4 comments:

  1. My had didn't serve in WWII because he was an only son and at the time, the government didn't take them. My hubby did serve during the Viet Nam war and both of our children were born while serving. We came home to the protest, the name calling and anger which was hard to take since so many lost there lives to give others the freedom to complain. Your hubby sounds like a great man, a Godly man and they should all be praised all the time so that woman know that Not-the-good-ones-are taken and what a Godly man looks like. These woman need hope that good men are still around. Thank you and Happy Birthday to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to make sure that everyone realizes that while I hated the callous reaction by *some* to the shootings at Kent State, I supported our service men and women and their effort to free the people of southeast Asia.

    Lynn Marie, I want to say a heartfelt thank you to your hubby (and to you) for his service, especially during such a difficult time. I believed then (and still believe now) that one of the most embarrassing times for us as a nation was when our service men and women returned home and were treated so terribly, so shamefully.

    Thank you for the kind words about my DH. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this post, both the memories and the tribute to your husband. I hope he has a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment today! I had to laugh. Hubby is at a pub crawl tonight and I am here ALONE!! Going to get in my pj's/read a book and go to bed and I AM SO HAPPY ABOUT THAT!

    ReplyDelete

I am SO glad you stopped by! No proving that you're a robot here ... I want to hear what you have to say! ;-)