Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Wednesday Hodgepodge


It’s Wednesday again … and that means that it’s time for some more Hodgepodge. 


1.  Chinese New Year will be celebrated on February 10th, and 2013 is the year of the snake. When did you last see a snake?  Are you okay around snakes or do they give you the shivers?
The last time that I can remember seeing a snake was a couple of years ago when I encountered a garter snake while mowing the lawn.  Unfortunately he could slither faster than I could push the mower.  Winking smile  Because as far as I’m concerned, the only good snake is a dead snake.
 
2. The color red in Chinese culture usually means good luck.  Do you believe in luck?
No, I don’t believe in luck. On the surface, things may seem to happen randomly or by chance, but the Bible tells us that God is in control of all of His creation and that with Him in control, there are no random or chance happenings. I know that God has a purpose for every one of us, and nothing happens in our lives that is not in some way, whether large or small, a part of that plan.
 
3. sledding-ice skating-building a snowman...if given a choice, which activity would you choose?  Which of the three have you done most recently? 
Honestly, I cannot remember which of those three I’ve done most recently.  I’d have to say ice skating, since I can remember doing that (about 15-20 years ago) and cannot remember sledding or building a snowman in the last 15-20 years.  And in the interest of full disclosure, I’ll have to say that I didn’t actually ice skate … I tried, but my ankles were just too weak.
 
4.  Ralph Waldo Emerson is credited as saying, "The years teach much which the days never knew."  Where have you seen this quote played out in your own life? 
When raising DD as a single mom.  In the midst of that time, my focus was on each individual day … now that I’m many, many years removed from that time of my life, I see that those days were far, far more than just a collection of individual days … it was the foundation for the relationship that I have with DD.   
 
5. When was the last time you ate a cupcake? 
Last Sunday.  After church we attended a chicken dinner fundraiser, and I chose a red velvet cupcake for dessert.  It was yummy!
 
6. What's something you can't say no to? 
If I can change that “something” to “someone”, I’d have to say my grands.  I have a hard time telling them “no”.
 
7.  Are you a doodler? 
Not much any more.  When I was working and sitting at a desk, I’d doodle a lot while on the phone.  Now that I'm retired, I walk around the house, getting little things accomplished while I'm on the phone.
 
8.  Insert your own random thought here.
Wall quilt 001-001
I promised a picture of my finished Disappearing Four Patch wall quilt.  I call this my “Lesson Learned” quilt.  I still love this block and plan to make another quilt using this block … but I have learned some valuable lessons (the hard way, of course) that will help me make a D4P that I’ll be happier with when I’m done.

22 comments:

  1. Good morning! I am sure with you on number 6, the first thing that popped into my head too. ; ) haha Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the snakes!! Ewww.

    Your D4P looks wonderful. What lessons did you learn?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed when I read your answer to #1! An image of you trying to catch the snake with the mower struck me as funny :) I agree with your sentiment concerning snakes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen on #2.

    Okay, now I understand #4 a little better after reading your answer.

    I love your quilt. Of course I've loved everyone you've shown here. I really like the color scheme in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that quilt and the colors you used.
    I think I need a cupcake today.
    Hope your having a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt is beautiful, Kathy! How long did it take to finish it? You are so creative and talented! Amen to your comment about the only good snake is a dead snake! I'm in total agreement on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I broke my ankle as a teenager so I've never even tried ice skating since I heard its all about sturdy ankles.

    That quilt is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilt is going to look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't seen a snake for many years and I hope never to see one again. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE your quilt. And the colors. Perfect! Thanks for your visit to my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your quilt, even if you did call it your Lesson Learned quilt. That cracks me up because I think every single quilt I have ever made has been that.
    I like your answer for luck. That is well thought out.
    I am not a fan of snakes either. Have a great day Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes....dead snakes are awesome!
    Beautiful answer to the Ralph Waldo Emerson quote. I do little things while I'm on the phone to. I guess that comes with not being attached to a cord!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the answer to #2! Yes dead snakes are good snakes. Love the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think your quilt is pretty.

    Red Velvet is one of my favorites. We have a bakery nearby that makes wonderful cupcakes. My favorite is chocolate with a raspberry filling and raspberry whipped cream icing-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am interested in your disappearing quilt...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great answers to #2 and #4. Lovely quilt!

    Glad you are pretty much over the "crud."

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful quilt! Yum on the cupcake! Red velvet is son's
    favorite type of cake :)

    I'm with you about the snake ;)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  18. 1. I'm with ya on the snakes. shudder.
    I should have done the hodgepodge this week because I have a few "good" snake stories...
    2. I agree totally!
    3. I don't remember when I've done any of those either!
    4. Great perspective.
    5. Red Velvet -- yummy!
    6. :D
    7. My grandma doodle all the time when she was on the phone. Cordless phones lend to walking around getting things done, huh?
    8. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hate snakes.....
    Nope, no such thing as luck......comforting to know God is in control cause I know I'm not.

    Funny how it takes years to see what those day to day events were leading up to!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I so agree with you on the answer to your first one!!! And your wall quilt...LOVE the colors.

    Oh, and by the way, your new profile icon is super.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your quilt is lovely! And aren't we glad that we don't have to depend on "luck"? Such a comfort to know our lives are in God's hands!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think your D4P is gorgeous! Smaller makes it more striking somehow.

    ReplyDelete

I am SO glad you stopped by! No proving that you're a robot here ... I want to hear what you have to say! ;-)