Saturday, June 27, 2015

Fashionista?


Those who know me well know that I’m definitely not a slave to fashion.  I’ve always been a fan of the classic casual look.  But I’m not sure that this is in keeping with my “style”:IMG_1730You all may remember that I mentioned that I somehow hurt my foot when we were in Hilton Head.  The pain almost totally disappeared – key word there is almost.  There was just enough intermittent low-level pain to finally convince me to go see my doctor … I mean, it’s been 2 months now … if it was going to resolve on its own, I’m thinking that it surely would have done so by now.  She (and my independent research) suspected a stress fracture, which may or may not show up on x-rays.  She ordered x-rays, which of course revealed nothing.  I’m to wear this lovely “shoe” for a week, and if there’s no improvement, I’ll get a referral to a podiatrist.  Ugh  As if the ugliness of this shoe isn’t enough, its sole is not the same thickness as my shoes/flip flops.  So in addition to being forced to walk in an unnatural manner (my foot doesn’t bend), I’m walking “lopsided”.  The foot may heal, but what kind of havoc is being wreaked on my leg? 



DH and I have been tossing about the idea of getting our windows slightly tinted for the longest time.  We have large windows that face south, which means we get a lot of sunlight … and glare.  While I love, love, love the sunshine shining in, we’ve already seen what the sun can do to our floors when we had them refinished.  I can only imagine what the sun is doing to our furniture, the quilt on our bed, etc.  Our neighbors had their windows tinted last week and have already noticed that they can bump up their thermostat setting 2-3 degrees to achieve the same comfort level that they had prior to getting their windows tinted … and that clinched it for us.  Now we just have to decide what level of tinting we’d like.  Esthetically I’d like a little less, but practically I’m leaning toward a little more (we’ve already culled out the darker shades).  Decisions, decisions.



If you remember, I’m participating in a BOM (Block of the Month) hosted by a Facebook quilting group.  IMG_1694This month’s block was Burgoyne Surrounded, a long-time favorite block of mine.  Making a quilt from this block is on my to-do list, so this is excellent practice for if I am able to get to making that quilt … although I did learn that I will not want to choose a directional fabric.  I had to do a fair amount of re-cutting and unstitching involved in getting the background fabric lined up the way I wanted it … for the BOMs, I’m using a consistent fabric for the background with various blues and reds, so I had to deal with the directional fabric.  Winking smile

I hope that whatever you have planned for today includes a little something that brings you joy ... have a great day!
Kathy

20 comments:

  1. I love that pattern in those colors! Bummer on the foot. Hopefully the hip does not bother you with the gait change. Maybe lots of sitting and quilting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your foot. Hopefully this lovely shoe will do its job though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. not good that your feet are not at the same level - that will make your walk funny and your hips might begin to ache. that is nice to have the windows tinted if you can not make due with curtains or shades. Always nice to have the sun blocked a bit in the summer but in the winter it can help to heat the house - decisions can be a pain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Directional fabrics are always a challenge for me too! Your block is looking great. I hope one week in your special shoe is all you need to get rid of that pain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, So sorry about you having to wear the boot. Hopefully the issue will be resolved quickly and you'll be able to be in normal shoes again. Love the BOM! We've already done some gardening this morning, visited with neighbors, ran to the grocery store and stopped by our girls house. Now I'm going to take my new magazine outside and look at it. Then maybe read a bit. Later will be the quilting time. I seem to keep saying that.
    Hugs, Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your block is gorgeous, and though it may have taken you longer with the directional fabrics, love the result!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry about your foot. Hopefully, it will be better by the end of next week. Burgoyne surrounded is a favorite of mine too. Love the colors you picked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Soooo stylish! I hope it is better soon. The tinted windows sound like a necessity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my, do hope the "ugly shoe" is doing it's job and not messing up your leg or your back with the hobbling it is causing you to do. So, so aggravating!

    Do you not have any window coverings? We are putting a fabric, light filtering, shade across the back of our new house and plantation shutters across the front. We will have intense evening sun across the back and will likely have them completely pulled at that time. Enjoy your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you have to go to a podiatrist and continue wearing the shoe, ask for 2. They aren't pretty but save the other joints. Worked for a podiatrist for 15 years. We did this a lot. When it hurts, it's trying to tell you something!!!
    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, your new shoe must be hard to wear. Sure hope the week passes quickly! Love the block with the directional fabrics... but I wouldn't want to make it with the directional fabrics! Good luck with your windows. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know, I've seen a few of those boots around this summer. Maybe it is the new style!
    Love your Burgoyne Surrounded block!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck with the foot - it is hard to walk lopsided, and you can hurt your back, so be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Again, hoping your foot heals quickly - and that your legs don't suffer too much! Lovely quilt block

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope that boot helps your foot and doesn't hurt your hip. Lovely block. It is really a nice one. I hope you get to wonderful things today from your comfy quilting chair.
    I never thought about window tinting before.
    Have a lovely Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well stylish or not sure praying that this helps your foot and this is the end of it! LOVE the block! My civil war quilt had a direction print in it and I decided from the beginning I would ignore it, lol. Took some doing for this ocd gal but I did. Yours looks soo good. But choosing a fabric that is not well eliminate some fussing and fretting that's for sure. We have sky lights in our family room and they have totally faded our area rug....don't really notice unless you move the coffee table [the rug is dark and light colors] which of course we do for vacuuming. Nothing to do about it now. The way that particular room is you really need the sky lights for light, but if I were you I'd tint for sure. Hope your day is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pretty or not, I hope your new 'boot' will help end your foot problems, once and for all!
    I didn't realize you could have your home windows tinted. Live and learn. I can see how that could really help though.
    Hope you're having a great weekend!
    Kathy (from Reflections by Kathy)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That block is gorgeous! You tempt me......
    No, not loving the shoe, but necessity demands we sacrifice you fashion sense sometimes. ;) Hope it all works out well and quickly for you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh dear! I imagine it is pretty difficult to find accessories to match your current foot fashion :*) Praying the boot does the trick and nothing more is needed - and that it doesn't knock anything else out of kilter! I love the Burgoyne Surrounded block too - that directional fabric would have driven me nuts!!! Did you see the tiny ones Janet O at Rogue Quilter did? Amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sorry about your 'shoe' - hopefully your foot will heal soon! I wish I had to consider tinted windows here (Cornwall, UK) - grey skies give plenty of shading!!! Love your block of the month, if you go ahead and make a quilt I think it'll be stunning :)

    ReplyDelete

I am SO glad you stopped by! No proving that you're a robot here ... I want to hear what you have to say! ;-)