Friday, January 28, 2011

Flashback Friday - Olympic Flashback



It seems like it's been FOREVER since I participated in the Flashback Friday.  With Christmas, the New Year, getting back to work, etc., I just hadn't gotten back into my "groove" ... things are finally settling down into my new normal, so I'm thrilled to be participating today.  If you'd like to play along or read everyone else's flashbacks, click on the button above.

Did you and your family watch the Olympics when you were growing up?
Yes, indeed.  Back in the day before cable and the plethora of sports channels/programming, the Olympics were perhaps even a bigger deal than they are now ... in no small part, I think, because all the athletes back then were amateurs, not professionals.   

Which was your overall favorite - summer or winter?
I love the luge, ice hockey, speed skating, skiing and curling.  But I also love diving, gymnastics, and swimming.  I don't care for the more "artistic" events (like ice dancing or synchronized swimming).  I guess I prefer the winter Olympics, but only by a slight margin.


Which individual events were your favorites?
Ooops, I answered that above.  

Since blogging is international, which country did you cheer for? 
The U.S., unless they were no longer competing in a particular event.   

Have you ever been to an Olympics or known anyone who competed? 
No, the closest I came was when the owner of the company I went to work for right out of college had a daughter who was an excellent swimmer and was competing to enter the Olympics.  She was very good, but she never was able to make the final cut.

What are some of the hallmark memories of the Olympics that you remember? 
I'll be showing my age here.  I remember Nadia Comaneci's perfect 10, Keri Strug who helped the US win the gold medal by competing even after she injured her ankle, the 1980 "Miracle on Ice", the 1968 black power salute on the medal podium, the 1972 terrorist attack, the heartbreak of Dan Jansen in 1988, Derek Remond's father helping him cross the finish line in 1992, Eric Heiden winning 5 gold medals in 1980 and Michael Phelps winning 8 gold medals in 2008 ... I'm sure that there are others that I'll think of later.

Did the Olympics ever inspire you to take a certain sport (or practice more!)? 
No, but then back in the day, there really weren't any organized sports for girls.

Do you prefer watching them the old way when everything was delayed in the days before 24-hour cable and internet? 
No.  I prefer watching the events live.

Do you watch them more or less today than you did when you were growing up? 
More today.  There's just so much more coverage (and hype?) with all the cable networks covering now (as opposed to one network coverage back in the day), so more obscure sports (like curling) and more of the preliminary rounds are covered.  And now that I'm retired, I have the time to watch during the day as well as in the evening.

What about the Special Olympics? Have you ever had any involvement with them?
No, I haven't, other than financial support.

8 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your Olympic memories. You mentioned some that I'd forgotten. It was fun trying to remember all that's happened over the years, wasn't it?
    I think the Olympics were better in the days of only amateurs, and when they happened every 4 years.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your post! You said you showed your age I guess I really did!lol. I mentioned watching Mark Spitz and Mary Lou Retton along time ago!
    until next time... nel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, I had forgotten but do remember the athletes you singled out. Dan Jansen's was a particularly heart-wrenching story.

    And then there were "Flo-Jo", Jackie Joyner-Kersee, and Gail Devers ---- and their fingernails!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't remember watchng them as a kid, my parents were never into sports. I have watched them as an adult. I always liked the gymnastics but I am really getting into the Winter sports.
    I was glued to the TV watching them last year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the diving too, I forgot about that when writing mine. I couldn't imagine how they did all those twists and turns and landed so beautifully in the water!

    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't remember watchng them as a kid, my parents were never into sports. I have watched them as an adult. I always liked the gymnastics but I am really getting into the Winter sports.
    I was glued to the TV watching them last year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, I had forgotten but do remember the athletes you singled out. Dan Jansen's was a particularly heart-wrenching story.

    And then there were "Flo-Jo", Jackie Joyner-Kersee, and Gail Devers ---- and their fingernails!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed reading your Olympic memories. You mentioned some that I'd forgotten. It was fun trying to remember all that's happened over the years, wasn't it?
    I think the Olympics were better in the days of only amateurs, and when they happened every 4 years.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I am SO glad you stopped by! No proving that you're a robot here ... I want to hear what you have to say! ;-)