Sunday, October 18, 2015

Sloooow Sunday Stitching

 

It’s definitely going to be a slow Sunday here at Chez Nana … we got home by around 9:00 last night, and we were both whooped.  Exhausted.  Worn out.  Tired … with a capital T.  We didn’t unpack the overnight bag … we didn’t even get everything out of the van last night!  So today will be a lazy day … unpacking , a birthday party for a certainly 6 y.o. and some slow Sunday stitching. 

 

The reason we’re so pooped here is that it was one long, busy weekend.  We hit the road Friday morning toward Homestead Hearth.  It was a delightful day for a road trip … cool but not cold and barely a cloud in the sky.  I was hoping to be able to see some fall color in the hills of Central Missouri, but alas, the only color we saw was at a *huge* tree farm along the interstate.  IMG_4168And since we were zooming by at 70mph, it’s not much of a picture.  Eye rolling smile

 

But I did see plenty of color once I crossed the threshold into Homestead Hearth!  How I wish I could take a picture to share with those of you who haven’t been … if you love reproduction fabrics, you’d absolutely love Homestead Hearth.  I strengthened my resolve and bought just what I set out to buy … a few fat quarters (on the right), some background fabric (the neutral in the center) …all for my upcoming tumbler quilt -- and some wide backing (the dark brown on the right) … for my Labor Day Stars.  IMG_0177

 

After we finished up at Homestead Hearth, we headed to Washington, MO (where the swim meet was held).  We grabbed lunch, checked into our hotel, and then headed over to the YMCA. 

 

It was a fairly small meet, but the Ts and their teammates came ready to swim hard and leave it all in the pool.  T#1 finished first in all of his events, and T#3 finished in the top 3 of all of his events (first in all but 2 events), and T#2 dropped significant amounts of time in all of her events.  The boys were the high-point winners, and T#2 came within 4 points of being the high-point winner (and then only because the ultimate winner swam in one more event than T#2).  IMG_0208And their team won the meet.IMG_4185No, this isn’t the entire team … these are the only diehards who stuck around long enough to see the high point winners and the winning teams receive their trophies.  Winking smile

 

Yes, I’m the grandma who sits on the pool deck and shouts encouragement (yes, shouts … T#2 relayed that she could hear me cheering for her while she was swimming).  But between their events, I spent time with my needle and thread … and stitched.  IMG_4172

 

 
 
Slow Sunday Stitching

I’m anxious to get back to work on my Labor Day Stars, but today it’s going to be a Slow Sunday … and a Slow Sunday Stitching kind of day … my Labor Day Stars will wait until tomorrow. 

 

I hope that whatever you have planned for today includes a little something that brings you joy ... have a great day!
Kathy

23 comments:

  1. I love those colors you chose! I miss Thimbleberries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your day, I am sure it will be nice to get some sewing in. What a great group of kids! How nice they won the meet.
    I also hope you get to sew lots and rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehehe stitching poolside, of course!
    LeeAnna at not afraid of color

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad everyone had fun - sounds like the kids really enjoy swimming. great fabrics that you got along the way

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photo of hand stitching at the pool!
    ENjoy your stars...love the new fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This Grandma shouts encouragement from the sidelines too - sometimes I stand to do it! Great weekends require some quiet catchup time afterwards. Enjoy today! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. You chose great fabrics! My MIL cheers along the sidelines too - in fact I remember her shouting 'go Aidan' as he was kicking the soccer ball the first year and he turned to look at her since she called his name! We all got a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you scored some great fabrics and had a wonderful day with the kiddos to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You got some really neat fabrics at Homestead Hearth. I doubt I could have been so disciplined.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You were definitely disciplined at HH. Glad the T's did so well at the swim meet and it looks like you might have gotten a few hexies sewn Inbetween the cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabric stores get the best of me every time! You must be known as the sewing cheering grandma! So fun! You need some feet up time now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did real well restraining yourself with your fabric, you picked some great colors, and I liked the fact that you got some stitching in at the meet. Glad the kiddos did so well, fun for all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Friday and Saturday sound like really full days. No wonder you needed to rest today.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds like a busy weekend, but one filled with fun events too. Congrats to the swimmers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad you found that backing fabric! YAY! Congratulations to the T's. I'm sure it helps to have a cheering section all their own.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like a very disciplines shopping trip--the fabrics are beautiful.
    My grandchildren don't swim in meets, but as they play soccer they can hear grandma yelling from the sidelines. I try to restrain myself more at the piano recitals and orchestra concerts. : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think it is great that you go to your grandchildren's meets. I am sure that they love the encouragement and support and they will always remember and appreciate that you were there.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awwww, sweet family! You were busy this weekend, weren't you? Congrats to the winners! Enjoy your hexie stitching!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have such a talented bunch of swimmers in your family :) Your fabric choices are lovely. Back when I used to sew, I loved purchasing fabric! I'm glad your road trip was enjoyable, even if it was exhausting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Kathy, Happy Monday-o.k. so have to ask if Homestead Hearth is as nice as Keepsake Quilting? I may have to plan a road trip(eventually if we get an RV)to this store-sounds like a place I'd love. Also have to ask if you designed the Slow Sunday Stitching badge? If so, you are so very talented. Love how your blog name is on all your photos-still have done that but should. What a great Grandmother you are to go all that way for a meet-you and I are the same in that my yelling has often been the loudest when my girls were doing sports. I spend several hours sewing today and now just trying to catch up blogging.
    Hugs my friend.
    Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I do love reproduction fabrics / I'd love that place :)

    Currently this grandma has to go to football games / crowded bleachers out in the elements / can't sew there :) I had to do this years ago with my boys / it's deja vu :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Homestead Hearth looks like my kind of store. I love your fabric purchases!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh wow, those fabrics are gorgeous! I've used a few repro fabrics by Denyse Schmidt and Barbara Brackman and they work just as well in a modern design too. Looks like you found the perfect time and place for some hexie sewing - glad you remembered to look up at the appropriate moments (not sure I would have!) :)

    ReplyDelete

I am SO glad you stopped by! No proving that you're a robot here ... I want to hear what you have to say! ;-)