Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Wednesday Hodgepodge

 

 

I can’ believe that it’s been three weeks since I've participated in the Hodgepodge.  Surprised smile  I guess if there’s an upside to having to take a handwork break, it’s that I am getting caught up and able to resume a more normal routine … including the Hodgepodge!  Why not join in the fun!

 

1. When it comes to good manners, what two top your list of most important?

Two?  Just two?  Ok, I’ll choose “please” and “thank you” since common courtesy is the foundation of good manners.


2. Let's open a proverbial can of worms...
Common Core.  Are you familiar with the term (talking education reform in the USA)?  If so, care to share your thoughts? In your opinion, what is one of the biggest issues schools (in your home country) face today?

I am not familiar with Common Core, although any references I’ve seen to it haven’t been positive.


3. Name a celebrity whose fashion sense you admire and share why.

I can’t answer this: I don’t follow celebrities, so I’m not familiar with their fashion sensibilities … not that I worry too much about the latest fashion trends.  If I had to define my own personal style, I’d guess that classic casual would come close.


4. How are you affected by the changing seasons?

I suffer from Raynaud’s, and I have very little tolerance for cold (which alas, is getting worse as I get older) … so I’m very definitely affected physically by fall and winter (and to early spring).   I am also affected spiritually by the changing seasons, finding encouragement in the rebirth that spring brings.  And I’m emotionally affected … I enjoy the changing seasons.  Even though I would prefer to live in a warmer climate (on the beach of course! Winking smile), I would definitely miss the lovely fall colors, the beauty of falling snow, and the budding leaves and spring flowers. 


5. Scariest book you've ever read?

I don’t care for scary books nor scary movies, so I don’t recall reading any books that scared me.


6. What time of day are you most hungry? What's your go-to snack?

If we’re talking outside of meal time, I find myself needing (more like wanting?) a snack mid-morning.  I usually grab something starchy Embarrassed smile, even though I try to keep healthier options available.


7. Do you lean more towards being too needy or too independent? Which do you find harder to deal with in others?

I suspect that I lean toward being more independent … no surprise considering that I am an introvert with some self-esteem issues.  I find it more difficult to deal with those who are extremely needy because their need seems to be unending.


8.  Insert your own random thought here.

My doctor recommended that I continue with the rest and ibuprofen … I am to “listen” to my finger.  If I get the tingliness, that’s a sign that the nerve is being damaged and that I should stop whatever I’m doing to cause it.  She did give me hope by saying that everyone she’s seen with this has healed although it took anywhere from a few days to 6 months.  I’m praying that I won’t be one of the 6-month healers.  After reading about a quilter on the Celebrate Hand Quilting Facebook group who learned to adjust/compensate so she could hand piece and hand quilt during her long recovery from major shoulder surgery, I was determined to find a way to do some handwork of some kind … without damaging that nerve.  I’ve become pretty adept at avoiding using my index finger so I was hopeful that I might be able to do a little basting of my hexagons.  Alas, it was just too difficult/cumbersome too work without using that finger that the process was no longer relaxing or enjoyable.

 

The Cardinals face the Red Sox tonight in Game 1 of the World Series … GO CARDINALS!!!

 

Ok, that was two thoughts, but since I’m three weeks behind, I've got some catching up to do.  Ha!

19 comments:

  1. I'll be rooting for the Cards...can't stomach the R.S.!!!!

    As for celebrities, you're the first to say something similar to what I posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about your Raynaud's. ((HUGS)) Praying your finger heals quickly with no nerve damage. Enjoy the game tonight. I will be in Las Vegas so I am sure it will be on all the TV's.
    GO CARDINALS..............

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure hope your finger heals quickly but more importantly completely. Guess it might be a good time to do some reading - and I don't read scary books either! The daily newspaper has plenty of scary reading. Have a wonderful day. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your finger heals quickly. I know how hard it is not to be 'doing' when you are a person who normally does! My daughter has Raynauds, even in warm weather sometimes her feet look almost purple. She is supposed to wear socks if its below 80 but she loves her flip flops so doesn't always follow that advice.

    Your Cards must be making you proud! We're rooting for them too, although my youngest and her boyfriend are both big Sox fans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with your thoughts on celebrities and fashion. It's all about comfort for me!

    I hope your finger continues to heal quickly! I know how frustrating it is not to be able to do what you enjoy :( At least you have baseball!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We answered so many of the questions the same this week. I have to say go Cards too because I dislike the Red Sox so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning! I had a feeling this was what you might hear at the docs...soo frustrating. I will pray you heal quickly. Now here is strange thing, about 4 days ago I noticed that MY index finger on my left hand was stiff and wasn't moving well. I pretended not to notice and moved along. Now last night and thia morning it downright hurts and I can barely move it around. I might think over-use like yours except mine is on the left hand and I don't use is nearly like I do my right. I am thinking arthritis now. This is NOT good news. Bad enough to have it in my knees and neck, but if my fingers go, what will I do? Guess we will see...enjoy your day Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since my Reds are in the playoff, I hope your Cardinals win.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope your finger gets better real soon. I don't know what I'd do with myself if I couldn't do hand-work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry to hear about your finger, Kathy. I know how frustrating that must be for you. I'll say a prayer that it heals sooner than later. Pulling for your Cards all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally agree with common courtesy! It seemed to me that some of the people in the hospital (when I was there with my mom) were a little surprised when I or my dad would thank them for something they did...whether it was the person who took her blood pressure or the person who mopped the floor of her room.

    And don't even get me started on cell phone courtesy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have Raynaulds as well... I HATE the cold for that reason. When I run, my hands are MISERABLE even in gloves.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree - my kids have been taught to say 'please' and 'thank you' and all the other manners needed. People seem surprised when they or I use them....
    I hope the finger heals quickly. I won't mention the team my Mom watches or listens to all the games of.... cause you might not like me after =).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't read scary books. Little courtesies have gone by the wayside. Go Cardinals!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I hope it isn't 6 months either. That would be a real test and definite withdrawal symptoms.

    Hubby is enjoying watch the first night of the World Series tonight upstairs and I'm downstairs with something else on. :0)

    Happy rest of the week~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Here's hoping your finger gets better quickly so you can get back to quilting. (I'm assuming it's affecting that.) I don't keep up with baseball, but apparently the Red Sox don't have too many fans, judging by the comments on this post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your Cards didn't look too good last night...I'm sure that was painful for you to watch! Maybe tonight will be better! Yes, I have seen posts about that movie on Facebook. Looking forward to it!! Hope your finger heals in record time!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi My Friend, I always find it interesting to read and learn more about you in these questions. I would say I'm more dependent on friends(I have a lot of baggage from low-self-esteem). I am also quiet unless I know and feel comfortable with a group of people. I am sorry your team lost last night; hopefully they'll win the rest of the games.
    Have a great evening.
    Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  19. That Raynauds is awful! One of the Superhero's employees has it and its hard during the cold months. So sorry!

    I don't think I have any fashion sense and even if I admired a celebrity's fashion, I have to remember that it wouldn't look like that on me!

    Be careful with the Motrin .......eat something before taking it because it can make a mess of your stomach!!

    ReplyDelete

I am SO glad you stopped by! No proving that you're a robot here ... I want to hear what you have to say! ;-)