Sunday, April 26, 2015

Slow Sunday Stitching


Slow Sunday Stitching

And not a moment too soon.  Not only have I been unable to spend any time with my Kiss quilt over the last 4-5 days, I seem to have come down with some kind of respiratory crud, eerily similar to the sinus infection that I finally got over last week … ok, it was more like last month, but still…  That means that today is going to be a slow day here at Chez Nana … and what better way to spend a slow day than to spend it slow stitching?  Winking smile  Now I have to decide … quilting on the Kiss quilt or stitching up more bow tie blocks? 

I spent yesterday afternoon basting the small “knot” piece of my bow tie blocks and have 19 sets ready to be pieced together.  I have them clipped together so when I’m ready to start piecing, my pieces will all be together.IMG_1487I have 13 pairs of the “tie” ready, waiting for their “knot”.  And I’ve still got quite a few pieces (60??) to baste … these make a 4” block, so the finished quilt should finish at about 40”x40”.  And yes, I know I have a very generous seam allowance.  I find it easier to wrap my papers – especially when working in the car – with a more generous seam allowance.  While it makes an extra step to trim that seam allowance when I’m done, I find that it’s worth it – to me – to make the basting process less fiddly and more enjoyable.  Plus, trimming the seam allowances (done with the papers still in place to help ensure accurate trimming and no snipping errors) is something that I can do while in my recliner, watching TV with DH.  So it works for me.  Since the primary benefit of EPP is the portability (plus the fact that I just plain enjoy EPP), I probably ought to hold off on the bow tie blocks … save them for our trip to Hilton Head (just two weeks now!).  That decides it … I’ll spend my afternoon quilting. 



Friday was reveal day for the April BOM for the Facebook handquilting group, so I can now present my version.  But first a little backstory to the BOM.  The group has decided that there are no rules … at the beginning of the month, we’ll be given a block, a little of its history and a picture of a sample block.  Then we’re free to make our version of the block.  April’s block was Whirling Squares, attributed to Nancy Cabot.  I found a drawing online, which was similar to the sample block.  Since the version I found looked to be a slightly simpler design and since I knew that the rest of April was going to be a busy time for me, I chose to go with the simpler block.  The 4 neutral pieces in the sample block were rectangles rather than squares, perhaps 1”x2” instead of the 2”x2” in mine.IMG_1402I can’t wait to see what block is chosen for May.  If you remember, I’m going to make my all my blocks using blues and reds similar to the fabrics in April’s block … and use that same neutral in all the blocks.  When I have enough blocks, I’ll put them together to make a sampler quilt.  My only concern is that these blocks will likely be different sizes … which means that I’ll be having to create some filler blocks … IOW I’m going to need to find some designing skills somewhere.  Surprised smile



We’ve got a busy week ahead, here at Chez Nana.  This week, we will be getting our carpet replaced – throughout the whole house.  The carpet we have now is builder grade and just looks tired and worn out.  The installers will move our furniture, but we’ll have to move the electronic equipment and smaller (i.e. breakable) items.  Thankfully they’ll be doing two rooms at a time, so we’ll have some space to cram everything.  I’m excited about getting this carpet replaced, but I’m not looking forward to the work involved in getting things broken down and moved and then back together… I’m really not looking forward to trying to reconnect all our electronic equipment (TVs, router, etc.). 



I hope that whatever you have planned for today includes a little something that brings you joy ... have a great day!
Kathy

15 comments:

  1. sounds like a lot of work at Chez Nana - I do not envy you that. I would rather be outside working in the garden and doing my quilting. Hope you get to feeling better soon - might have to run back to the doctor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh hope you feel better soon! You have really had the "crud" too much this year! ;-(((..I like your little bow ties (and your idea of more fabric for EPP agrees with me too) I took out my Monet's city hexagons andam going to try to re-invent how to finish it once again--that's what comes of not having a plan ahead of time I guess...hugs Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you are feeling better very soon! I hate being under the weather. Good luck with the carpet - the whole process is a pain but it will be worth it in the end! Enjoy your slow stitching on this beautiful day! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your new carpet. We are starting some renovations here at this house too. Holes will be knocked in walls. Things need to be moved and packed up for awhile. It will be at least two months of work before life will return to somewhat normal. But we must think about the final results. It will be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you feel better soon. Enjoy your day of slow stitching. Hope all goes well with your carpet. We are talking about doing that too or putting in some wooden floors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish we were getting new carpets... or new something on the floors. Hope you are feeling better before all the moving needs to happen. Sitting and relaxing while quilting sounds perfect. I think I need to do some of that myself tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Busy, busy busy!!! Sure do hope you stay well so you can feel great while getting all that accomplished! Your bowties are going to be so cute - good plan to save them for your trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, having carpet replaced is one of the worse to me. That's exactly why we opted for wood throughout in our new house. We just don't want to have to live through replacing it should we live there long enough to do so. :o)) Sure hope it goes smoothly for you. BTW, love the quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got the crud to this week. The cough is the worst part of it as it wakes me at night and than for me it is so hard to get back to sleep. I took a nap this afternoon, something I never do but I felt so tired and Tom convinced me that it would be best to sleep since I was so tired. Hope you get to feeling better. Love your new EPP project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are having the wood floors refinished in our house this week. We've moved everything from the main floor. Such a job! I hope you feel better quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You sure have a lot going on! Love that block you made...what a great idea to have a "no rules" BOM!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you get well and don't have this stuff very long, two of my sons have come down with it again too.
    I am so tired of whatever this is because it just is impossible to get over.
    Your blocks look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you show a shot of your new carpet once it is all in and the house is back in order... that is a large project for sure.. no matter how much they do. I love your BOM... I hope you get all better feeling before you head to Hilton Head too! Have a great week! Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with Lesley, you have a lot going on :)
    Getting new carpeting is definitely a lot of work, but so worth it in the end. I agree, reconnecting all of the electronics is the worst :(
    Have a great week, and I hope your respiratory crud is short-lived!

    ReplyDelete
  15. New carpet= AWESOME!!! We've been talking about putting carpet in the hallway & bedrooms, but we probably should wait until my schnauzer is no longer with us.
    The new quilt is going to be BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete

I am SO glad you stopped by! No proving that you're a robot here ... I want to hear what you have to say! ;-)