Sunday, July 19, 2015

Slow Sunday Stitching

 

Slow Sunday Stitching

 

It’s most definitely going to be a slow stitching day here at Chez Nana.  After all the excitement, drama and heat of yesterday, I think a lazy day at home is definitely on the agenda!  Especially since this coming week will be another busy one.  If the old saying “no rest for the wicked” is true, then I must be very, very wicked.  ha!

 

Yesterday was the summer swim conference’s championships, and as I mentioned, all three Ts qualified.  We were at the pool by 7:15, and it was 5:30 by the time I headed back home. 

 

T#3 has been begging for a pair of swim briefs all summer long, so when Mama found a pair in his size at 75% off, he got his wish!  Obviously they must have helped make him faster because he scored the most points for any swimmer in the 8 and under boys group … he won 2 events and finished 3rd in the remaining individual event and helped his relay team take 1st.  Another trophy for his growing collection.  IMG_3787T#1 had a good meet, scoring the 3rd most points for any swimmer in the 13-14 y.o. boys group.  IMG_3797… pretty soon those boys are going to need another room for their swim trophies/medals!  Poor T#2 didn’t have her best meet ever … I think the heat got to her, and the splint didn’t help either.  Thankfully the splint will be off by the time winter swim starts up, so hopefully she’ll pick up where she left off last winter.

 

The Ts’ team fared well, winning the Conference championship for the first time in the 36-year history! 

 

It was a HOT day yesterday … the high was 94 with heat indices well over 100.  Thankfully DH and I set up our chairs at the top of the ridge under a large tree, so we had plenty of shade and a nice breeze blowing much of the time.  We were just a few feet away from the bleachers, so we didn’t have to trudge through the heat and sun to watch the swimmers.  I will say that I was so thankful to get in the van and crank up the A/C for the drive home.

 

Which wasn’t without its own drama.  I was about halfway home when I got a flat tire.  Surprised smile  In hindsight, I think the tire was slowly losing air even on the trip to the pool that morning.  Thankfully, I didn’t have to drive too far to a small town so I could pull off into a bank parking lot.  Alas, I didn’t have my purse with me, so I didn’t have my AAA card, and my efforts to Google the roadside assistance number were futile … I gave up and called DH (who’d left the meet to go to the annual picnic hosted by a social group he belongs to).  He drove me home, grabbed his AAA card and headed to the van.  By 10:30 last night, we had the tire changed and the van back home.  Of course, we’ve only got a little donut tire on so tomorrow, DH will be taking the van to get it a new tire. 

 

I’m trying to decide whether to continue on my MWFG (now that the light bulb has turned on for adding the connector hexies) IMG_0729or to get back to quilting my Kiss quiltIMG_3452Decisions, decisions.  Winking smile

 

It’s going to be another busy week this coming week.  DD has her final week of in-class sessions, so I’ll be getting some T-time Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.  And DH and I will be hitting the road as soon as I get home Wednesday … we’ll be traveling along the Blue Ridge Parkway.  Our plan is to start at the southern terminus Thursday afternoon and hit I-64 at the northern terminus on Saturday late afternoon/early evening.  There’s nothing on our schedule for Monday, so if our road trip takes a little longer than planned, no big deal.  I’ll definitely be taking along my MWFG for some handwork along the way. 

 

I hope that whatever you have planned for today includes a little something that brings you joy ... have a great day!
Kathy

19 comments:

  1. Your road trip sounds wonderful! And you've already got the flat tire out of the way, so it should be smooth sailing.. or driving!
    Enjoy your hand stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hope you see some pretty places on your trip - do you have some places picked out to see/tour through - VA has lovely old plantations - Thomas Jefferson and James Madison I think for presidential sites close to the Parkway - beautiful gardens to see - and of all of the park - lovely old mills etc. How is your foot doing you hadn't mentioned.
    sorry about the tire always not fun when you are alone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Blue Ridge Parkway is beautiful! :)
    What a loooong, exhausting day you had yesterday, but YAY to all of the T's doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL!!! Well a day of RR stitching is in order. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about the flat, but now you can head out on your trip with confidence. I remember how busy life was when my girls were little and did swim team. I always took hand stitching and I called it my "swim team" quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you are getting in some slow stitching time today. I think you need and deserve it after all of your swim meets, the super hot weather, and a flat tire! Enjoy. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband and I drove the blue ridge parkway in April. Hope you have a nice time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. With a road trip on the way, it sounds like hexies win the day. Enjoy your time away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As much as I know you enjoy the time with your Ts, I think a trip on the Parkway will be a terrific break. Hopefully, cooler too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that IS a lot of excitement - good and bad. Glad you got home safely, and congratulations to the T's! Enjoy your trip later in the week. I think you will enjoy the quiet time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would have melted into a puddle in that heat! I'd go for the quilt and take the MW with you on the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kathy, About the time I thought I was busy, I read about your weekend. Wow is all I can say. After looking at your stitching on your kiss quilt-made me think maybe I should consider that for my next quilt. Glad you didn't have an accident with your flat tire. Have a splendid Monday.
    Hugs, Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was a day full of swimming for sure! So sorry about the flat tire. Ugh! I can't wait to hear about your Blueridge Parkway trip. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would go for the Kiss quilt. I am looking forward to seeing it finished. Congrats to all the swimmers. So sorry your day ended on a flat note....pun intended.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your hot day at the swim meet reminded me soo much of the years and years Melody played travel softball. Goodness we were all over the United States it seemed during those years and most of the time and places it was SOOOOO hot! We had our little methods to keep cool and get some breezes but truthfully most of the time they were futile,lol. And getting in that car and blasting the air was lived for, lol. Your grands are doing sooo well....how exciting that must be. Another busy week for sure it sounds like....but I know you will enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You need to have a day to relax and sew after those busy days. Aren't car issues a royal pain???

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's probably a good thing I don't have grandies - I don't think I could keep up! LOL! Enjoy your drive on the Parkway. It's so beautiful, and it should be a little cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a lovely road trip--and I think I would be too busy staring at the scenery to get much stitching done.
    Be sure to have the AAA cards with you when you head out! : )

    ReplyDelete
  19. Uh oh! Sorry about the flat tire! Glad hubby was able to come to your rescue :)
    Hope y'all have a wonderful trip, later in the week. Sounds relaxing...
    Kathy (from Reflections by Kathy)

    ReplyDelete

I am SO glad you stopped by! No proving that you're a robot here ... I want to hear what you have to say! ;-)