Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Tuesday’s Trivialities

 

I mentioned Sunday that I couldn’t decide between quilting on my Kiss quilt or working on my Martha Washington’s Flower Garden.  I decided to quilt … I continue to make progress.  I’m working my way around the outer edges … I’m almost done with the 2nd of the 4 outer edges.  When I’m done with the 4th outer edge, I’ll have the final 2-3” along the outer edges to quilt (I save that last couple of inches so I can get out my border hoop). 

 

After dinner I decided to trim my connector hexies … I start with a 2.5” square of fabric and then trim the excess after I’ve basted.  Here’s an example: IMG_3804It’s much easier to cut 2.5” squares of fabric, and the extra fabric gives me a little more margin for error, something that I find useful since I usually do my basting in situations where I might not be able to focus intently on lining up my papers, such as in the car on our road trips or at swim meets.  Trimming the edges is also fairly mindless work, something easily done in the evening, sitting in my recliner while watching the game with DH.

 

Anyway, I pulled out my basted connector hexies and was shocked to see how few there really were.  I found the rest of the 2.5” squares waiting to be basted, but there didn’t seem to be all that many of them either.  Will I have enough??  I counted my blocks and estimated how many connectors I would need for the 51 blocks I have done and then counted my hexies/fabric squares.  Yikes!  I’m nowhere close … I have enough to connect 20 blocks.  Of course, this is old fabric from my stash, and my Google search pulled up zero hits.  I guess I’ve got more fabric to add to my shopping list … in addition to fabric for the setting triangles for the Pat Speth quilt I started at retreat last month, I now need fabric for connectors for my MWFG.  Don’t worry … those hexies that I’ve already basted won’t go to waste (very little goes to waste with us quilters ha!) … I’m thinking of finding a nice green (on my shopping trip since my green stash is sorely lacking) and making a Christmas table topper/runner.  Not in time for Christmas 2015, but perhaps Christmas 2016. 

 

Yesterday was spent with my Ts … this is DD’s last week for 2 of her 3 classes, and it’s crunch time.  She needed a study day, so I took the Ts off her hands.  The girls and I headed up to the library, and the boys stayed home to play. 

 

Today will find me at DD’s most of the day as she has her afternoon class on Tuesdays.  I always stick around for a couple of hours afterwards to have some time with her and the Ts.  When I get home this evening, I’ll start packing for our road trip … our plan is to leave tomorrow after I get home from watching the Ts … if we can get a few hours under our belts tomorrow evening, we will be able to hit the Parkway by mid-afternoon Thursday and get a few miles on it under our belts before stopping for the night.  While driving in the car for hours and hours is more DH’s “thing” than mine (if I’m going to be in the car for hours and hours, I want to end up at the beach – ha!), I’ll admit that I’m really looking forward to this trip.  What we’ve seen of the Blue Ridge Mountains (from a distance) on our travels tells me that we’ll have some beautiful views, and there are several stops along the Parkway that I’m looking forward to.  And I am hoping that we’ll encounter a quilt shop or two as well. 

 

I doubt that I’ll be online much on this trip … maybe a photo or two shared on Instagram.  But I’ll be sure to report in when we get home.  Until then, I hope that whatever you have planned for today includes a little something that brings you joy ... have a great day!
Kathy

16 comments:

  1. tell us all about your trip when you get home - have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you figured out the hexie problem before you sewed them together.

    Have a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I hate it when I think I have enough of something and I don't. Hope you find what you need. It WOULD make a pretty Christmas project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a great trip!
    (I had to really stare at that first picture - I kept thinking it was a ruby of some sort - haha)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Safe travels to you and enjoy the 'shopping' along the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a wonderful, safe trip. Wish I could go along in your suitcase... ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathy, Praying for travel mercies for you and your hubby. Sounds like a restful, easy road trip with lots of beauty-unlike driving through Utah and the dessert areas of Nevada. I'll be looking forward to hearing about your trip when you return; I'm not sure how much posting I'll be doing either.
    Hugs, Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful part of our country. Good luck with finding some quilt shops!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy being on the Blue Ridge Parkway... looking forward to seeing your table topper/runner with the hexi(s)... I am sure it will look stellar! As for your new connector color... wonder what you will use? Will look forward to pics when you return as I am not on my pad enough to catch on in Instagram it seems! lol Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you have a FABULOUS time, Kathy...milk it for all it's worth!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have a great trip and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have a wonderful, wonderful time! Hope you find some fabulous new quilt shop!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You poor thing - you have to shop for fabric! Enjoy your road trip.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds like things are as busy as ever there! Maybe you will find the fabrics you need if you encounter some quilts shops on your trip. Have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm looking forward to haring about your trip. We'll need some tips as that is on our list of things to do!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have a wonderful trip, it's beautiful along the parkway

    ReplyDelete

I am SO glad you stopped by! No proving that you're a robot here ... I want to hear what you have to say! ;-)