Monday, December 24, 2012

The Week Wrap-up




Another week has come and gone, and what a week it was!  Since I took a blogging break last week, this edition of The Weekend Wrap-up will be a The Week Wrap-up.  Winking smile

Tuesday was our 25th anniversary.  Since we’ll be cruising – in less than 3 weeks now! - to celebrate our anniversary, we kept the actual day a little low-key.  We saw Lincoln at the “movie-ator” (movie theater, in T#3speak) and had dinner at our favorite restaurant

The rest of our day was spent cleaning and preparing for my family who would be spending the weekend with us … I have to confess that I’d been so busy trying to get that I Spy quilt done in time for Christmas that the house needed a pretty thorough cleaning.  Surprised smile

Wednesday was cookie-baking day.  I’ve baked Christmas cookies for as long as I can remember, and since DD married, she and I have always taken a day in the week before Christmas to bake Christmas cookies.  And now that the Ts are growing up, they’re becoming part of the fun, too.  Our “menu” has changed over the years, but the fun we have has remained a constant.  This year, we baked fewer different kinds of cookies, choosing instead to bake our favorite … and more of them.  We baked peanut blossoms, snowballs, snickerdoodles, spritzes, sugar cookies, chocolate crinkles and shortbreads.  photoThis is just half of the cookies that we baked.  T#1 made the snickerdoodles all by himself, and T#2 helped me with the peanut blossoms and pressed out most of the spritz cookies.  Our day was made even more special with our first snow of the 2012-13 winter!  photo

Thursday was our Christmas with DD and her family.  We opened gifts, played games, watched movies, had a couple of wonderful meals, and just enjoyed time spent with the people we love the most. 

Friday, my sisters and dad were here for the weekend.  My sister L was flying in from Austin and had a lengthy delay in Dallas.  Luckily she was able to get on another flight and was “only” 2 hours late in arriving at Lambert.  We had our Christmas with them Friday evening … DD and her family were here for our Christmas.  We opened gifts, had a meal together, played some ping pong, and just had a nice visit. 

Saturday, we reconvened for Wii bowling, Rook, great food, and more visiting.  Sunday was everyone’s last day here … my sister K and her S.O. left for their Chicagoland  home around 1:00 …. we dropped my sister L off at Lambert around 6:00 … we drove my dad back to his house (he no longer drives at night).  We were home by 7:30 … and as much as we enjoy our visitors, I have to say that it's always nice to get our house back to ourselves and get back to our regular routine.  Winking smile

Today will be a bit of a busy day … the house needs tidying up from our visitors, and I’ll be in the nursery during Christmas Eve service.  Thankfully the service is early, so we should still have time for a relaxing evening spent watching a Christmas movie or two.

All the snow from last week has melted, but it sounds like we might very well have a White Christmas here, albeit Christmas Day evening.  There’s a huge front moving in, and while the forecast is for the heaviest snowfalls to be to the south, it sounds like we’ll be getting 3-4”.  Perfect, absolutely perfect!  Thumbs up

This week I hope to be able to get back to working on the disappearing four patch that I started before Christmas.  I miss my time with needle and thread. 

Wishing you and yours a very blessed Christmas.

11 comments:

  1. Wow - it sounds like you are really enjoying an old-fashioned kind of Christmas with lots of family and fun times together! I envy that - all of our family lives far away. However, our son and his family will be coming the day after Christmas for a few days and we always look forward to that visit. That's really when Christmas starts for us :*)

    Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you and yours this holiday season!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it sounds like a WONDERFUL time. From the cookies, to the visits, to the time spent with family...doesn't get much better. What happens tomorrow? Just quiet with you and hubby? All our plans have gone askew...Melody and Sam both became quite sick and they didn't even come...sigh. They are hopefully coming next week now instead. All of my boys were coming anyway for Christmas day of course, but now my youngest son and his family are down with stomach flu!! When it rains it pours....soooo now we "may" just gather all our food (which of course I had already bought) and go over to my oldest son's house for the day...we will see. I am still working on my disappointment...while praying everyone feels better quickly.

    Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at all those cookies!!! I did about 60 cookies & thought that was alot :)

    Sounds like a BUSY weekend.. & more fun & busy to come!

    Have fun in the nursery... being with sweet babies during Christmas Eve - a blessing in that :)

    Merry Christmas to you & your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you're have a great Christmas! Hope you enjoyed the snow more than I did. I ended up stranded - they closed the roads here because of so many accidents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering what you had been doing. I am so glad it was filled with fun and family. It sounds wonderful and I am so thankful you get snow. Have a blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dear friend, You have been so busy! Wow is all I can say. Did you get those doll panties made? I pray you have the most blessed Christmas; we will be over at our youngest daughter's home for much of the afternoon. I haven't announced it yet, but our oldest is expecting number 6, due in early June. That means, after Christmas I have to finish my quilt and start looking for designs. Christmas blessings to you and yours!
    Love, Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, those cookies are absolutely amazing and I want ONE! This was just a fun, fun post! Blessings to a dear blogging friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary! You have had a very busy week! Merry Christmas! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been AWOL too. Between Christmas and being sick… well, it was just too much.
    You have had a busy but fulfilling week. I made cooking with the kids, but nothing like yours! WOW!
    Did you get the snow? We got about an inch, but hey! It was a white Christmas. There is more coming today.
    Merry Christmas to you and your family!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a wonderful celebration you have had. I thought I was doing good because I made one kind of cookie. Wow! You did a lot and they look good too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's right, your trip is coming up soon. How exciting!!! Happy Anniversay...

    Did you enjoy Lincoln? Wow, look at all those cookies. Hooray for snow! You have been busy.

    I feel like I worked my butt off the last few weeks. We had a great Christmas and it was all worth it.
    We are so blessed and I am so thankful.

    ReplyDelete

I am SO glad you stopped by! No proving that you're a robot here ... I want to hear what you have to say! ;-)