Monday, January 31, 2011

Weekend Wrap-up


It was a mostly uneventful weekend.  I did some piecing on T#4's big girl quilt (got 1 1/2 blocks put together) did, some handquilting on the doll quilt, had the unexpected pleasure of Sunday afternoon/evening with the Ts ... and checked for updates on the forecast for Monday through Wednesday.

The forecast has been all over the place ... originally we were forecast to have 1/4 to 1/2 inch of freezing rain (ice) with 3-6 inches of snow.  Yesterday they were predicting 3/4 to 1  inch or more of ice and 12-16 inches of snow.  Today they're "down" to 1/10 to 1/2 inch of ice and around 3 inches of snow. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE snow, but I HATE, HATE, HATE ice.  We had a big ice storm 4 years ago, and we lost power for 7 days!  I do not wish to go through that again.  I'd like to think that we've ensured that our power won't go out by buying a generator from Home Depot on our way home from church yesterday.  Hey, a small price to pay to keep power!  ha!


I am concerned, however, about my dad's house.  He's still on the Alabama Gulf coast, so his house here in Illinois is unattended.  The forecast for his home is for more ice; my job is to watch for power outages (thankfully his electricity provider has an outage monitor on their website).  If he loses power, DH & I will have to make a trek to his house to turn on the faucets ... so the bitterly cold weather in the forecast for Wednesday & Thursday won't freeze his water pipes (he has only a crawl space under his house, so the water pipes would be more susceptible to freezing).  He didn't lose power in the ice storm 4 years ago, so we're praying that he won't this time around. 

6 comments:

  1. Good luck with the weather and your Dad's house. We are expecting a two day storm! Get out today while you can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love the feet in your header : ) We're also expecting a storm-ugh. Hoping you keep your power!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog looks so cute. Hope the weather holds and that your dads house is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nana,
    Keep us updated on what happens with the Snow storm.
    Love the hearts on your blog.

    Viola

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love the feet in your header : ) We're also expecting a storm-ugh. Hoping you keep your power!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nana,
    Keep us updated on what happens with the Snow storm.
    Love the hearts on your blog.

    Viola

    ReplyDelete

I am SO glad you stopped by! No proving that you're a robot here ... I want to hear what you have to say! ;-)