Tuesday, September 30, 2014
I was able to get everything unpacked in time to spend a few hours in the sewing room on Sunday … got the rows put together on T#1’s spiral log cabin. Putting these rows together was a little more challenging than usual … I laid out the rows on my design floor and would take one at a time to add to the growing top. A couple of times, I had to take the row back out to the design floor (in the living room, the only room in the house with enough floor space to serve as my design floor – ha!) to make sure which side of the row was to be sewn to the growing top. Thankfully no frog stitching was required. Whew!
Monday I spent most of the day measuring and sewing on borders. It’s a tedious process, but it’ll be worth it to make sure that I don’t end up with wavy borders. The borders are on, and I’m just about done with the tidying up of the back. I expect to be able to get the quilt sandwiched today … and maybe even take a few quilting stitches, too? I didn’t get a picture taken after I put on the borders … I wanted to wait until I’ve cleaned up the back and the top … so I should have a picture to share next time.
I got my cutter out yesterday to cut strips for the borders and thought I’d cut strips for my Primitive Picnic quilt (my leaders and enders project using the Midwinter Reds in my stash). I searched through my sewing room closet, through all my reds and neutrals … no Midwinter Reds! Surely I didn’t use it all up cutting the squares? I’d already gone through my stash and organized it after the shelves were installed, so I knew that if I had any left, they’d be in the closet! Thankfully I found a couple of online shops that still have a few pieces left … wondering if I’d find my missing Midwinter Reds after I placed my order. And sure enough! That’s exactly what happened. As soon as I placed the order, I went to my sewing room to start working on the borders … the storage bins I ordered to hold my stash were taking up a lot of space in the sewing room … I decided to put them away first so I’d have room to work. And sure enough, underneath the pile of WIPs were my Midwinter Reds! Good thing I’ve been wanting to use more reds in my quilts.
Leaves are just starting to turn here in SW Illinois … peak autumn color won’t be for another couple of weeks, but some of the “early birds” are starting to turn … a sneak peek at what’s in store. And autumn weather is in our forecast … highs in the upper 60s/lower 70s and lows in the 40s.
The MLB post-season begins this week, and my Cardinals will be making an appearance … I imagine I’ll be spending my evenings in my recliner, quilting and watching the games – hopefully through the end of October.
I hope that whatever you have planned for today includes a little something that brings you joy! Have a great day!