Monday, September 28, 2015

Re-entry


We got home late yesterday afternoon.  Thankfully unpacking didn’t take too long … I don’t know about you all, but I can’t stand having all the suitcases and bags hanging around, so once everything gets into the house, I have to unpack everything and put it all away.  If I stop to sit down and take it easy, I won’t get back to the task at hand.  And that is borne out in the master bath, where all my toiletries are still in the zip-lock bags this morning.  IMG_0109

The rain finally moved through the area so our last couple of days on the Island were wonderful days.  And we milked them for all they were worth, with nice long walks along the water’s edge.  IMG_4105
Where we finally found our first sand dollar … and it was a baby one … about the size of a quarter (wish I’d had a quarter in my pocket so I could have laid it next to the sand dollar for perspective).  IMG_4098
We also saw another starfish.
IMG_4104
Yes, that’s my shadow as I was taking the picture.  And we saw dinner being caught. Winking smile
IMG_0108

Saturday morning, after one last sunrise on the water, we stopped at our favorite restaurant for one last meal before heading home.  We made it past Atlanta … and vowed that we’d never drive through Atlanta again!  It started with our GPS warning of a 52-minute delay on our route (thank goodness for traffic alerts), so we chose to travel the alternate route mapped out by our GPS.  It added 29 minutes to the trip, but that’s a lot better than 52!  We were finally directed back to the Interstate, but I think we would have both rather stayed on the back roads … traffic was very heavy and it was raining.  We were both pretty worn out by the time we stopped for the night … and we’d only traveled 5 hours that day.  Whew!  Unfortunately, Sunday’s drive wasn’t a whole lot better … there was a brief moment where we weren’t sure that we’d make it home.  We were coming up on a Greyhound bus when suddenly a rear panel broke loose and was flapping furiously … we were sure that it would totally break loose and fly back and strike our car.  DH put the brakes on to put a lot of distance between us and the bus … and then thankfully the driver realized that something was amiss and pulled the bus over and we were able to safely pass.  It was a scary, scary moment.  IMG_4117

The majority of the trip was spent listening to the Cardinals lose a game they should have won … while I basted hexies.  IMG_4112
It certainly helped the miles fly by. 

Thanks to a remark made by Mary over at Hill Country Quilter, I’ve declared today to be recovery/re-entry day.  I’ve done a little laundry, got caught up on blog reading and plan to put away those toiletries out on the bathroom counter.  DD has already asked if I’d be available to come up after they finish up school this morning … well, of course!  It took me all of 3 seconds to text back that I’ll be there.  Now if the Ts will cooperate by cranking out their schoolwork.  Winking smile

As much as I’m missing the beach, I have to say that I’m so very glad to be back home.  I hope that whatever you have planned for today includes a little something that brings you joy ... have a great day!
Kathy

18 comments:

  1. My hubs could leave his things in luggage till the next trip - DRIVES ME NUTS!!!

    I always hear that from people that drive through Atlanta. I cant imagine living there.

    That bus is terrifying!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, glad you got home safely. What a scare. I love to travel, in fact I just got home from Santa Fe, but it's sweet to get back to the comfort and routine of home. I've got to get a hexie project going. I can see it makes a good travel project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you made it safely home and had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home! So glad you made it safely. That sounds like a scary moment. We love driving the back roads and we vowed to never go thru Atlanta again a number of years ago - we always go some other way! We left this morning and are in Indiana tonight. There has been way too much road construction. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you got home safely! I had a 10 ft alluminum ladder fall of a truck in front of me on Interstate 70 during busy traffic. I was spinning around after it hit the road and luckily I was able to drive over it safely. So glad I was paying attention and slowed down and didn't panic as there was no way to get out of the lane as traffic was really heavy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you two made it home safely! I'm sure that back panel flapping on the back of the bus was scary. Welcome back to regular life :)
    Kathy (Reflections)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I like that, "recovery/reentry day." That's a perfect description of the day after getting back from a trip. The bus situation was very scary and glad y'all escaped in safety. Welcome home, hope it was a good reentry day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think we all need re-entry days after being away.
    Glad you made it safely home!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your drive home sounds like a real ordeal. I am so glad you made if safe and sound. The nearest big city to us is Austin and try to avoid driving in it as much as possible. We've become true small-town retirees!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome home! Sounds like you had a wonderful, relaxing time, but there's no place like home huh? I know you were anxious to see your favorite people and I know you enjoyed that visit. That bus thing was scary for sure....glad it worked out OK.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well welcome home! I agree that putting it all away right away works best, if for no other reason than you can't trip over the suitcases on those middle-of-the-night trips to the bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad you had a wonderful time and you made it back home safe. How scary with the greyhound bus. I know some one else going through Atlanta that weekend and they were caught in that traffic. They said the same thing.
    I hope you have a wonderful day getting caught up doing all of the things you love to do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Isn't it good to be happy wherever you are! I detest being stuck in traffic, though, and will go to great lengths to avoid it. And you are so right - sometimes back roads are the best!. Glad you're back safely and enjoying spending time with your T's.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never, ever use the interstates on vacation. It's time to relax. We added an hour to our drive to the mountains and arrived relaxed and calm. We got caught in a 43 car (bike) pileup on 75 during the first weekend of bike week. Amazingly we got to the side of the road without a scratch. Last time on 75 for vacation. Glad you got around your problem. Glad you enjoyed your time at the each.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you made it home safely. Sorry for the rough drive home. Thank God that panel didn't fall off and hit you! Love the little sand dollar, they are a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Kathy, I imagine you are feeling much more settled than on Monday. Trips, whether short or long, and the return can truly wear a gal out. Loved seeing your photos-great job on the walking too. That is a wonderful app you have, I'll have to get one on my phone. My 5s has been acting up since the upgrade and I'm frustrated with it. Hope you have lovely weather this week!
    Hugs, Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a scary drive home! So glad you made it safely. Love the sand dollar picture. If you hadn't told us it was small, I would have through it was a big one. :)

    I hope you are having a good 1st week back at home.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Welcome home. I think you got out of here before The Rain That Never Ends started.

    ReplyDelete

I am SO glad you stopped by! No proving that you're a robot here ... I want to hear what you have to say! ;-)