Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge




Since all my posts seem to be hodgepodges of randomness, Joyce’s weekly Hodgepodge meme seems to be designed just for me … so I’ve “got” to join in, right?  ha!

1. What's on your September calendar? Anything fun? 
Oh my word … yes indeed!!!  We’ll be leaving for Hilton Head soon, and I can. not. wait.  After a stressful and exhausting summer, I definitely need some time away at my Happy Place.  DSCF7909I never get tired of seeing this.
 
2. You might be described as a natural born _____________________?
Gosh, I’m drawing a blank on this one.
 
3. September is National Courtesy Month...what one act of courtesy would you most like to see more of in your home, town, or the world at large? 
I don’t know that we normally think of patience as an act of courtesy, but my goodness, this world needs more patience.  Everyone is in such a stinking hurry.  Granted, there are times when being in such a hurry is justified, but the vast majority of the time, it’s just our own self-centeredness rearing its ugly head.
 
4. Eager beaver, chicken out, clam up, or let the cat out of the bag...of the phrases listed, which one have you related to most recently? 
Most recently?  I guess chicken out.  My husband and I discussed stopping to see Grandfather Mountain on our trip along the Blue Ridge Parkway.  He wanted to walk on the swinging bridge there … there’s not enough money in the world to get me to step foot on that bridge.  Surprised smile
 
5. What's your movie theatre snack protocol? Do you chow down on snacks during the previews or wait until the movie begins? Do you buy snacks or refuse to pay those kind of prices? What's the last movie you saw in a theatre? How many thumbs up would you give it?
Funny, during our walk Monday morning Lois and I were talking about the cost of snacks at the movie theaters.  I refuse to pay the kind of prices being charged for movie theater snacks, especially since the soda and the popcorn cost the theater only cents to provide.  In fact, the exorbitant costs of tickets and snacks has caused us to, for the most part, give up seeing movies in a movie theater.  The last movie I saw in a theater was The Minion Movie. The Minion MovieI’d give it two thumbs up.  It had enough humor for adults, and I loved the soundtrack! 
 
6. Henry Ford is quoted as saying, "Nobody can think straight who does not work. Idleness warps the mind." Agree or disagree? Why?
I’d have to agree, I suppose.  William F. Buckley wrote “industry is the enemy of melancholy”.  While I don’t know if there’s any scientific data to back that up, I suspect that most of those who are busy doing something (anything) are more satisfied (and happier?) than those who choose not to keep busy/work.  The mind is a powerful thing, and if one chooses to daydream instead work, all those hopes and dreams are going to remain subjects of daydreaming instead of reality … which surely will produce a sense of dissatisfaction and longing.  That dissatisfaction may well filter into every aspect of one’s mind and create misery …a warping of the mind, if you will. 
 
7. What's the last job you completed or task you performed where you had to 'work like a dog' until it was finished?
Clearing out the rooms when we had new carpeting installed in May.  They did two rooms the first day and did the last two rooms the second day.  It was onerous enough getting those first two rooms cleared, but by the time they left that first day, we had only a couple of hours to get everything back into the first two rooms, so we can clear the last two rooms … we had nowhere else to put everything until we’d put back everything into the first two rooms.  Ugh!  Hard, hard work … but it was worth it.
 
8.  Insert your own random thought here. 
Monday I’d planned to sew the September block of the month for my Facebook hand quilting group, but that plan got sidetracked when I got a text from DD asking if I wanted to spend the day with them.  Well, duh!  ha!  Since they’re leaving town Thursday or Friday and since we’ll be gone until the last of the month, this was going to be my last opportunity to spend some time with 5 of my favorite people … and I wasn’t going to pass it up.  That block waited until Tuesday (I won’t be able to show it to you until after the 25th – Reveal Day is the last Friday of the month) … but I can give you a peek of in while in progress.    IMG_0004
 
I didn’t have an easy a time with my block of the month as I should have (it shouldn’t have been all that difficult ), so I was happy to get back to my hexies.  I finished stitching connectors to my Martha Washington’s Flower Garden block and started on a second block. 
 
I hope that whatever you have planned for today includes a little something that brings you joy ... have a great day!
Kathy

17 comments:

  1. Hilton Head looks beautiful! Enjoy your well earned trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your answer on #6 - thought provoking. Loved the minion movie - that was the last one I saw in a theater too. Ours refills the popcorn and soda so Grandma brings bags for the kids to eat out of and fills them, and then gets the refill before the movie which we shared. Worked out well. Enjoy your trip to the beach. I hope you have wonderful weather, beautiful walks on the beach with no foot injuries and some relaxing stitching listening to the waves. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always enjoy your hodgepodge. Patience is truly a virtue! Enjoy your time in Hilton Head. I'm sure it will be wonderful! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree about the movies! We used to go to the movies a lot and I mean almost every weekend, we loved the movies - but over the last 5 years or so movies have deteriorated we think, there is no longer one good movie after another to see, we used to have our splurge of cokes and popcorn with the movie - then all of a sudden it seems we just about have stopped going to the movies - you can rent or see on your own tv through the pay networks a new movie fairly quickly now without going to the theater. make your own popcorn and get your drink - dim the lights if you wish and enjoy in your own home - turn the volume up if you wish and pretend you are out. We have cut back on seeing movies out to the point that I can't even remember what movie we saw last - it was probably about 6-12 months ago

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well let's see....you are a natural born....quilter, grandma, mother.....are a few that popped into my mind for you, lol. I couldn't agree more about number six and keeping busy...it is certainly true for me anyway...every once in a while I do enjoy an "idle" day, but as a general rule I am MUCH happier busy as a bee, lol. There are two theaters close to us that offer senior discounts [much more then the usual senior prices always available] if you catch the movie before noon. Not always easy to get there early, but pretty much the only way to fly for us....3 dollars a piece! And then the theaters are usually full of us older peeps who tolerate each other well, lol. As for the snacks, MOST of the time they are in my purse or better yet we skip altogether. I live in horror that they will stop doing this and that will be the end of our movie going experiences....we both love the big theater. Getting excited for you....Hilton head is near! haha Have a good day my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always enjoy reading your hodgepodge posts. Glad you chose to spend the day with the family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I miss not going to movie theaters, but like you, we've pretty much stopped due to the cost associated with it. Fortunately, there are other options for watching.

    ReplyDelete
  8. #6. Don't they always say 'if you want something done, ask a busy person'? I don't know why but it certainly is true from my experience.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't go to movies unless someone else is playing. Last year, they closed our dollar theater and it costs way too much to go see a movie and get snacks on top of that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I agree with Debbie, I no trouble thinking of an answer to #2 for you. Oh, having carpet laid in a house you already live in is a huge deal. That's one reason we went with wood floors, just more than we want to endure at this point in life. :o) We're off to Ok. this afternoon so I'll be in touch as I can. Happy rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so happy for you going to your happy place. Have the best of times! Patience is a great answer. I know my own husband needs work with that one! With my movie rewards card they have free small popcorn on Tuesday's so I like to take advantage of that. Getting new carpeting is so much work. I think that is why we have put it off.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with you, the world could use a little more patience. Everyone's in such a hurry.
    OMG, I walked on that swinging bridge, (in my 20's) and I was terrified!!! I wouldn't do it again, that's for sure.
    I know you're looking forward to your "Happy Place". I know I would be :)
    Kathy (from Reflections by Kathy)

    ReplyDelete
  13. There's a similar bridge in Vancouver my daughter crossed. I'd try it. I think : ) Have a wonderful restful time in HH!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi there, WELL first I have to say I can answer the ...Natural Born Quilter.
    Loved your answers and know you are counting down the hours til you get on the road. May your time be restful and refreshing. Sending travel wishes and prayers.
    Hugs, Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Kathy! So excited (and jealous!) to hear you'll be heading to Hilton Head! I know how excited you must be! It's a "Happy Place", indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  16. #4: There ain't nothing wrong with not wanting to go on that hanging bridge! :) Hubby did say it didn't wiggle too much. But still.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I could use a Hilton Head trip right now! :)

    ReplyDelete

I am SO glad you stopped by! No proving that you're a robot here ... I want to hear what you have to say! ;-)