Monday, August 31, 2015

The Weekend Wrap-up

 

 

Wow, it’s been a long time since I’ve done a Weekend Wrap-up – since early April, to be exact.  I guess you could say that it’s long overdue?  Ha!

 

Since the weekends start on Friday mornings here at Chez Nana, the weekend got off to a busy, busy start.  I took DD and the Ts out for some back-to-school shopping.  First though, I had to haul the tubs of clothes we’re storing in our basement so DD could go through and find anything that would fit T#3 and T#4.  Face it, when living on a single income with 4 kiddos, hand-me-downs are a fact of life.  Thankfully there were a lot of pieces that would work for the 2 littles … too often the sizes and seasons don’t seem to coincide.  It took us a total of 5 hours to shop (with an hour’s break for lunch) … and even then we didn’t find everything we were looking for.  T#1 is getting increasingly difficult to shop for … do you know how difficult it is to find jeans with a 26” waist and 32” inseam?  And on a budget no less?  We then headed back to DD’s for dinner followed by a “Minecraft Party” (the Ts’ reward for enduring all that shopping – ha!).  It was a long, exhausting day … but I loved every minute of it. 

 

Thankfully I was able to rest up on Saturday … with my needle and thread.  I had hoped to be able to get out my border hoop and get started on the outermost quilting, but I didn’t quite make it.  But I did get some of my connector hexies attached to one of my Martha Washington’s Flower Garden blocks.  IMG_0001I’m not done basting my connector hexies, but I was anxious to get a few connected. 

 

We spent all day yesterday with DD … her former step mom’s celebration of life service was yesterday, and I think DD appreciated our being there … our jobs were to support her and to help entertain the Ts. 

 

 

There’s nothing much on my schedule for today, so I think I’ll spend it in the sewing room.  My Facebook hand quilting group’s Block of the Month for September was  chosen yesterday, and I’m thankful that it was announced early as we will be gone most of September.  I know that if I don’t get it done before we leave, it won’t get done in time for Reveal Day.  It looks to be a fairly easy block, so I should have time for some hand work. 

 

Speaking of leaving, DH is chomping at the bit to leave early.  We’ve talked a lot over the last 6 years about returning to Charleston, but we just haven’t made it happen.  If we can find inexpensive lodging, we could leave Tuesday instead of Thursday and have a couple of days in Charleston.  We’re not even expecting to stay in Charleston itself; when we visited Charleston 6 years ago, we stayed in Mt. Pleasant, a small little town just across the river from Charleston … it took only 6-8 minutes to drive from our hotel to the historic district.  But even lodging there has gotten pretty pricey … so we may stick to our original plans or find somewhere else that we’d like to visit between here and Hilton Head. 

 

 

I hope that whatever you have planned for today includes a little something that brings you joy ... have a great day!
Kathy

17 comments:

  1. school shopping I remember being something not to look forward to LOL - my daughters were both hard to fit as they were so thin- pants never seemed to have a small enough waistline if they were long enough- I remember taking in pants on the sewing machine. Hope you find lodging in Charleston area - I told you we were there a couple years ago - but now that you mention Mt. Pleasant I think that is where we stayed as I remember driving across a river to the historic area. Glad the memorial service is behind your daughter now and maybe with the school year starting all will be off to a better start for her than last year was

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, leave early & enjoy where the ride takes you :)

    I always say a place that can give you jeans at your request, would make a killing - always too long, too short, waist too big, too tight. I hate jeans sometimes & the hunt for them

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you can find a place to stay and leave a little early on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post brings back so many memories of school shopping days. I hope you find a way to stay in Charleston a few days. I was there once and really enjoyed my visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you and DD survived the shopping trip! I was so sorry to hear of your DD's step-mom's passing, though it sounded like she was really suffering and now she is not. Losing someone we love leaves such a empty place in our hearts though. I hope your daughter is doing okay. I am hoping you find a suitable place to stay so you can visit aaCharleston again. Your trip sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a busy weekend. Sorry to hear of your DD's loss. Hope you make it to Charleston! In the interim, have fun stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathy, What a busy weekend you had; I have to say I had been praying for DD's mil, but somehow missed that she had passed. I'm so sorry.
    I've only been to Charleston once and we were supposed to go back last spring but then cancelled due to my surgery. Hope you got some stitching time today! I'm going to a quilt store tomorrow to see if I can find more fabric that I like.
    Hugs, Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did have a busy weekend, but I'm glad you got a little bit of stitching done. Your hexies are lookin' good. We had a chance to go to Cahrleston a few years ago. Loved it and the surrounding area. I can see why Hilton Head is a favorite spot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I hope you will get to leave early and have a great time on your vacation. Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I hope you will get to leave early and have a great time on your vacation. Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I hope you will get to leave early and have a great time on your vacation. Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, we love Charleston!!! Our baby boy may well be here before midnight. I'll be so glad to know he's here and okay! Happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would LOVE to visit Charleston some day! Hopefully that will work out for you. Also I am really loving the hexies....sooo pretty. I KNOW you will have a wonderful time at your beloved Hilton head...... ENJOY

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you got most of the school shopping accomplished - whew! We loved our time in Charleston and would enjoy going back. I hope you can find some cheap lodging there; it would be great fun. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  15. We love Charleston! Didn't they just get a lot of flooding from Erika? Hope you have a grand time. Since you just had such a grandie time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am learning about being tired after spending time with the grandkids. I only have one, but I am pooped after time with her! I get up early when I'm around her because I don't want to miss time with her. I also spend a lot of time on the floor with her and because I have a bad back, well, I have to spend a couple of days recovering. But it's worth it!!
    We stayed in Mt. Pleasant and you're right, it's not a bad drive to Old Charleston. I can't tell you what we paid because we used points. Sorry. We definitely want to go back to Charleston!

    ReplyDelete

I am SO glad you stopped by! No proving that you're a robot here ... I want to hear what you have to say! ;-)