Monday, August 3, 2015

Happy Birthday to T#3

 

I mentioned yesterday that our T#3 had a difficult start.  I’ll never, ever forget that day when I got the call to get to DD’s *immediately* because they’d gotten the call from Cardinal Glennon Children’s Hospital.  I remember crying all the way to their house, praying fervently that God would hold that little boy in His hand and bring healing … I had no idea what was going on other than the hospital had told his Mama and Daddy that they needed to get to the NICU immediately.  I remember hearing Matt Redman’s You Never Let Go on the radio on the way to DD’s … another example of God’s perfect timing because He never did let go of us that entire time.  And now, that little guy is the most rambunctious, loving little guy … I thank God every day for His mercies to us. 

 

And rambunctious is putting it mildly.  He is always moving, always on the go … he never seems to just slow down, even when we adults think he should.  I’m sure that there are some who wonder why his parents don’t “make” him settle down and get himself under control. 

 

I’d like to share what DD wrote on her Facebook page … she wrote so beautifully what all of us who love that little guy feel:

This.kid.never.stops!

And I'm okay with that. As we get ready to celebrate his eighth birthday today, I can't forget what happened:

Receiving a phone call from CGCH telling us to get over there right away without even letting us know if he was still alive. Walking in to hear his caring and talented neonatologist tell us what all was wrong with his beautiful 6 lb 5 oz body....that his blood didn't want to get oxygen from his lungs before it went to his heart, that his lungs couldn't handle the ventilator, the ventilator he needed to breathe causing air to leak into all the wrong parts of his body, causing a collapsed lung. Watching him paralyzed and sedated, vibrating as he received 300 breaths per minute from a high frequency oscillating vent, knowing air had been trapped around his heart, causing it to start to shut down, that he was acidotic. Seeing the ECMO machine in his room, ready to take over for his heart and lungs if one more thing went wrong. Of hearing his concerned NICU doc answer there was less than a 50% chance for this sweet boy to make it. It took a week to realize he would make it.

Fast forward eight years. People still know his name at CGCH NICU. Tuck has amazing talents: making others laugh, swimming, math, caring for others, and making the best of every situation.

So yes, I'm very okay with this kid being constantly moving because he is here and SO full of life.

 

Here are the photos she shared that epitomize this kiddo who never, ever slows down.

 

Happy birthday to our sweet little miracle!our miracle boyYour Nana and Papa love you too much!

12 comments:

  1. a rough start but he is going strong now! wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blessing for all of you. Happy birthday to him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh - what a little fighter! I love you can remember the song even on the radio. Happy Birthday to your little man

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love what your daughter wrote and enjoyed the photos of him. What a blessing you were given. God is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He definitely was meant to live and he seems to live each day fully! A true blessing for all of you! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy, in my former life I was a PICU nurse who cared for ECMO reliant babies like your T #3 was... I understand all too well how sick he was then and what a miracle he is today :) Thanks for sharing your dd post too.. I loved her slideshow... and I love the boundless energy God has given him.. and the perfect family to love him as he is! Those NICU nurses will forever tell families of the Miracle Tuck got... as we all need those miracles.. I have goosebumps writing htis though! lol Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love happy endings! I say enjoy him everyday and I know that you do!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! what a story and what a miracle! He certainly look like a fine young man. Happy Birthday T#3!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delightful story ending. His photos made me chuckle. He really does seem to be a live wire!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how scary that all must have been.....But God obviously had very different plans for this little guy! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! to him, and may the Lord bless him with many, many more!











    ReplyDelete
  11. What a neat story. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete

I am SO glad you stopped by! No proving that you're a robot here ... I want to hear what you have to say! ;-)