Sunday, August 2, 2015

Slow Stitching on a Not-So-Slow Sunday


It’s been a busy weekend … not-so-slow Friday, Saturday and Sunday!  Friday morning, after DH got home from having breakfast with our neighbor, we headed out for Homestead Hearth.  If you remember, it’s a 2-1/2 hour drive one way … I still wasn’t too keen about spending a good part of my day in the car (I’m still not quite recovered from all that time in the car last weekend), but I was anxious to go fabric shopping.  We were about 40 minutes down the road when our GPS indicated that we were going to have a 30+ minute delay.  DH and I both hate sitting in stop and go traffic, especially on the interstate (me probably even more than DH). He suggested that we find an alternate route, at least to get around the problem area. I checked the atlas and saw that there was nothing that would work, but he was adamant, so off the interstate we went. Turns out that there really was no alternate route, so we lost an additional half hour due to taking the “alternate route”, arriving at Homestead Hearth at 1:00 instead of 12:00. At least we had a pretty drive along the Missouri River, through the foothills of the Ozarks. And as if that weren’t bad enough, we encountered a construction delay on our way back home. At least it was in the St. Louis metropolitan area so we could easily come up with an alternate route. Even so, it probably added an additional 15 minutes to our time on the road. Fortunately, even in spite of all that time in the car, it was worth it when I found perfect fabrics for the projects I was shopping for! IMG_1895The fabric on the left is what I chose for the connector hexies for my Martha Washington’s Flower Garden (no, there weren’t enough of the missing-then-found hexies Sad smile); I wanted to go with red and thankfully found one that is subdued enough to not overshadow my MWFG blocks.  The top three fabrics in the center are for my Labor Day Stars project started in the workshop taught by Pat Speth at our retreat’s retreat last month … the top red is for the cornerstones and outer border, the dark brown is for the sashing and narrow inner border, and the tan is for the setting triangles.  The bottom red is for my stash, as are the fat quarters on the right. 


Saturday was the All-Star Swim Championships …  the top 6 swimmers in each event of the 6 area conferences in the southern half of Illinois qualified for this event.  T#1 and T#3 qualified; T#2 didn’t have her best summer swim-wise, in large part due to having to sit out the first 2 weeks of the season and then having to swim with a cast/splint the remainder of the season.  With just two swimmers, there was a little more down time between their events so I could actually do a little stitching.  I brought along my EPP bow ties, my current travel project.  This coming week, I’ll set up my Accuquilt GO and start cutting 2-1/2” squares for my connector hexies for my Martha Washington’s Flower Garden and can get back to work on it.  T#3 did well and finished 6th in the 8 and under boys, and T#1 finished 3rd in the 13-14 boys.  IMG_3908Here’s a picture of T#1 (on the left) with his best bud (who finished 2nd in the 11-12 boys). 

My stitching today will be of the slow variety, but most of my day will not be.  T#3’s birthday party is this afternoon … he’ll turn 8 on Monday.  I remember 8 years ago when the doctors gave very little hope that our little guy would pull through and that if he did, he’d struggle developmentally.  Praise God who just laughed at their warnings … he’s a handful, definitely 110% boy, and has given his Mama and Daddy more than a few gray hairs, but he has such a tender heart, is such a sweetheart and is sharp as a tack … I can’t even begin to imagine what our lives would have been like these last 8 years without him.  Red heart  Once we get home after the party, my plan is to spend a couple of hours just taking it easy … and stitching some more EPP bow ties.Winking smile

Slow Sunday Stitching

I hope that whatever you have planned for today includes a little something that brings you joy ... have a great day!
Kathy

21 comments:

  1. I don't believe much of what doctors say anymore, they're wrong more often than not it seems. I'd say your road trip was worth the bit of additional time, those are beautiful fabrics! Happy slow stitching day, I hope to be able to do a bit of that myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy... love your fabric infusion... I am glad you got that done before your upcoming trip too... gives you time to prep for the trip I would think too! So happy you have had 8 wonderful years with your T#3... that is just a wonderful story. I am glad God is actually the great physician as well and in control of our destiny :)
    Enjoy your hexie's today... maybe a little Kiss quilting tomorrow then?? lol Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your fabrics are wonderful...won't you have fun! Congrats to those wonderful swimmers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great selection of fabrics you got! You have been busy - enjoy the party today and maybe you can squeeze in a little stitching. Happy Birthday to your #3T.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful fabrics! I love it when I find just the right ones for my projects! What supportive grandparents you are! It is all about creating memories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great fabrics - love the colors! Enjoy the birthday party today. Almost thirty-six years ago, I was told to abort my baby because a test showed a major developmental error. The test was redone; the results were still in question. I always say I chose that child twice. He is a smart, handsome State Trooper Sergeant, with a great family. So blessed he is in our lives. Have a wonderful day! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry but I had to laugh at your description of "taking an alternate route": as it sounded soo like my hubby and me....he is ALWAYS sooo sure there has got to be a way around whatever traffic problem we have encountered....though of course there usually isn't it and we end up wasting more time just driving around....and it's with a GPS of course, lol. You did get some beautiful fabrics however so it was worth it. i told you my youngest sons children are now swimming competitively too. Their's is not at any big deal level or anything as they are all just getting started, but they had a meet yesterday too and the oldest one [she is 10] swam against 50 girls in her division and took sixth overall which we all thought was fantastic, and the youngest [she is] took first in her division with the backstroke! I am soo anxious to go to one of them as I have not even seen them swim in one yet.....soo exciting. And we too are celebrating after church this afternoon for their youngest, Vinny, who turned 2 yesterday. Think we have much in common, lol? I am going to try my hand at lace Christmas snow ornaments tomorrow. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such lovely fabric purchases! Enjoyed reading the wonderful story of the T#3! Have a great day, and I hope you can enjoy some slow stitching :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely fabrics, well worth the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely fabrics. Enjoy your slow stitching and that miracle boy's birthday ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. we too do the alternative route at times - and sometimes tend to regret it! sounds like you had a great day with the grands and happy birthday to the 8 year old and glad he proved the doctors wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always like to take the less traveled road. I love your fabric!! It is just lovely. Praise God!!! My twin grandsons, are 8 and they were given the same kind of diagnosis.
    They are perfect and none of the things the doctors said came true. I am so thankful God overrules. Have a wonderful day celebrating his life.
    Your grandson and his friend, look so happy.
    Have a lovely day

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you found the perfect fabric which made the wait worth it! Enjoyed hearing about the T's and have fun at the birthday party today.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful fabric addition. Your road trip is like when you decide to change lanes at the grocery store. The original lane always seems to get moving once I decide to change. Oh, well. Have fun at the party and enjoy each and every special moment.

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is really funny ---this morning on our way to the boardwalk to take our daily walk, we got stuck for 45 minutes in traffic as the Town we travel through was having a triathalon. It was a loopy bike section which prevented us from taking any side streets to get out of it.. Luckily it hadn't gotten too hot as yet and we had enough gas!! We did get to walk and took a long ride to avoid coming back through the race....and so it goes...love your EPP bow ties...I am going to get back to my Monet's Garden now that I have FINISHED yay Fi's quilt...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad you made it to your destination. I don't mind traffic as long as I am driving! Hubby drives for a living and has never been in an accident and yet, I worry in back up traffic he isn't watching all lanes. Silly me! Love your fabric and congrats to the boys for their wins!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A very happy birthday to T#3! Congratulations to the swimmers, great job! Lovely fabric choices. Sometimes we take alternate routes, sometime in the parking lot while my husband drives around and around deciding on a parking spot! lol It drives me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It makes me tired just reading your schedule! Happy birthday to the eight-year-old. I am so glad the doctors were wrong! (Love the fabric choices, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great additions to your fabric stash!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful stash enhancement! Love those fabrics.
    I'm glad the eight-year-old proved the doctor wrong. Hope it was a great celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Birthday to T #3. So glad doctors don't always know everything :)
    Love your new fabrics, too...
    Kathy (Reflections by Kathy)

    ReplyDelete

I am SO glad you stopped by! No proving that you're a robot here ... I want to hear what you have to say! ;-)