Saturday, August 22, 2015

Welcome to the Weekend


And not a moment too soon, eh?  We got our weekend started (in my little world, the weekend starts Friday morning!) with a trip out to spend the day with my Dad.  At 92, he’s getting frail, getting out is becoming more of a task for him so I like to get out to spend some time with him regularly. 

On the way out to my Dad’s, I reminded DH that in 3 weeks from right then, we’d be in the car as well ... on our way to Hilton Head.  I surprised him as he had been convinced that we were 4 weeks out … it definitely was a pleasant surprise. 



My guild’s Projects Chair has issued a challenge … we are to submit to her a list of quilting goals that we’d like to accomplish by the July 2016 meeting … at least 5 projects we’d like to finish over the next year (she’s leaving the definition of “finish” up to each of us … it could be just a flimsie, or it could be a quilted and bound quilt.  Hmmm … now to decide what 5 projects I’d like to finish).  I would like to think I could get my Martha Washington’s Flower Garden to at least the flimsie stage … and my EPPd Bow Tie quilt, too?  Of course, I should be able to have my Kiss quilt finished, quilted and bound, long before then.  I have a tumbler quilt next up on my list of quilts to make … I don’t know why it couldn’t have it pieced, quilted and bound in the next 10-11 months.  That’s 4 projects … I need at least one more.  Right now, I’m thinking of making a Kaleidoscope quilt after the tumbler quilt, and I’ll need to start another EPP project (for our travels and for swim meets, etc.) … I’ve got the papers to make an EPP sampler, so I guess that’ll be #5.  I’ve added my list to my sidebar, to keep me focused … and maybe so you all can help keep me on track.  Winking smile



We got back home from my Dad’s by 5:00, which meant that I had plenty of time for a night of sewing … especially since the ballgame didn’t start until after 9:00, perfect for a Friday Night Sew In (FNSI).  It was quite delightful outside so I grabbed my EPP case and set up shop out on the deck. Ahhhhh … bliss!  I finished up the last block for my Martha Washington’s Flower Garden; I last worked on this block over a month ago, and since I’ve been slowly but surely making some progress on basting the connector hexies, I was determined to get this block finished.  I had a few seams to stitch on the outer ring as well as the two end hexies to add.  Here’s what the last block looked like on my way out to the deck:IMG_1984
Here’s the finished block out on the deck: IMG_1985I still have to make the partial blocks for the outer edges (to square it up), but I want to get the full blocks finished, surrounded by the connector blocks before I start on the partial blocks. 

And speaking of the connector blocks, I got right to work on basting them after I finished the piecing on my final full block.  By the time I called it a night, I had over 50 hexies to add to my bag of basted hexies.  I’d hoped to get more done, but it was well past my usual bedtime and our Cardinals weren’t making it a game worth staying up for … IMG_1988I need to count them all again, just to see where I stand.  I need over 600 hexies for my connectors, and at last count, I’d basted 145 … I’m guessing I’m over 200 already – a third of the way there.  Looks like I’ll be able to start piecing these connectors while we’re in Hilton Head.

Today my plan is to do more quilting on my Kiss quilt.  But it’s going to be another gorgeous day … I might not be able to resist the urge to spend more time out on the deck.  If that’s the case, I’ve got a few more hundred hexies I could be working on.  Winking smile



I hope that whatever you have planned for today includes a little something that brings you joy ... have a great day!
Kathy

26 comments:

  1. Wow - you are just moving right along at a snapping pace on those hexies girlfriend!!! That's a great project to take to the beach. It wasn't so long ago that I was EPP stitching on the NC coast :*)

    ReplyDelete
  2. my hexie quilt will be the only top that I have waiting in line now that I am putting a new quilt top on the frame this weekend. I hadn't seen yours for awhile now. I have to get mine back out and look at it, I seem to remember saying I might need to put a border on it and I need to do that to make sure it is ready for the frame later this year. We leave on our trip around the time you leave on yours but heading the opposite direction

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yoh are so ambitious, hexes aren't even on my forever radar, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great list of goals for the year! I really love the Martha Washington one....soo pretty, and sooo much work and time in it. I wonder if writing out all my goals for just before Christmas would encourage me or have me throwing in the towel, lol? Enjoy your day my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are really moving along on those hexies! It will be a great takealong project.
    Coming up with five projects is going to be fun. I could easily come up with that many!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much detailed work on the hexies quilt. It will truly be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How exciting to have the last flower completed. You are in the home stretch, with 1/3 of the connectors ready. Can't wait to see this come together. It will be a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're so very dedicated. All my plans to get some quilting done lately seem to be waylaid by other things. Guess I'm not as enthusiastic about what I'm doing as I should be. BTW, what's EPP?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are really getting those hexies done! Bet you are outside stitching today - it is gorgeous (at least it is here!) I often set goals for myself with my quilting. It does keep one on task! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love seeing those hexies come alive!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the colours you are using for your hexie project. Looking forward seeing them all together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So Friday Night Sew in is still around? I am so glad. I need to sign up. I did love that on Friday nights.
    I hope your day has been wonderful with lots of sewing. I like that idea of having a list of projects you would like to finish. I need to sit down and do that too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hexis are the perfect travel sewing aren't they!! Your are looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are making great progress with your lovely hexies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Sunday Kathy, Wow you've certainly produced a lot of hexies. You amaze me girl, with how much you get done and hand quilting no less. We had our new neighbors over for dinner last night and she machine quilts so I understand how she can get so many quilts done in such a short amount of time. I just started my LC, got to get a move on. With football season and cool weather, I find myself quilting more and more. Hope you have a wonderful day.
    Hugs, Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another busy one for you. So glad you can now enjoy the temps on your back porch. It's still too hot here unless we turn the coolers up high. Your hexies are looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, my, you are so industrious! And, off to Hilton Head again. And, time with your Dad, how sweet. Wishing you a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well done on completing your last hexie block! Love this shape & the fabrics are pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely hexie block. I'm just going to have to return to see them all together!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So happy to finally find a blog from someone in my area. Didn't know if anyone around here blogged. I follow several by e-mail and really enjoy yours!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great work on that hexie block. Such pretty fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  22. love your EPP Kathy...and so did Mr RNG! You won our August FNSI! PM me your postal address and I'll get your prize off to you as soon as I can. Congratulations and looking forward to next month. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Slow progress is better than no progress. You will get there one day. Beautiful diamond.

    ReplyDelete

I am SO glad you stopped by! No proving that you're a robot here ... I want to hear what you have to say! ;-)