Monday, October 18, 2010

You and Your Spouse - Day One

One of the benefits of memes is that when I click on the links of the others who are participating in the meme, I get to discover a lot of new blogs ... AND get some great ideas and discover new memes for when I am running dry in the idea department!  ha!

Since I didn't have a clue what to post today and since this sounds like a fun meme,I'm going to join in with Kim's meme:  You and Your Significant Other.  Today's topic is:

Day 1
How did you and your significant other meet?
How did you know he was the one? 


DH & I were co-workers at a company where I started my accounting career (right out of college -- but I was a non-traditional student ... I had just turned 30 and was a single mom).  Well, we were sort of co-workers.  I was the accounting manager at an auto dealership, and he was the accounting manager for the parent company and several other subsidiaries; my office was in town, and his was in a small town about 10 miles north.  So, we spent a fair amount of time on the phone, discussing work matters and occasionally he'd stop by our office to pick up/drop off paperwork, forms, etc.

I was definitely NOT interested in him ... he was definitely NOT my type -- AT. ALL.  Some of my co-workers would tease about hooking us up, but I was adamant that he was NOT my type.  But God had other ideas.  ha!  It turns out that DH is a big Cardinals fan (as am I), so when he would call on work-related matters, we'd always manage to chat about the Cardinals.  After a year or two of that, I realized that even though I still insisted that he wasn't my type, I could acknowledge that he was a nice guy (the kiss of death, right?).  Fast forward another couple of years to 1985, and our Cardinals were going to the playoffs; turns out DH had 1/4 share in 4 season tickets ... and back in the day, that meant a total of 8 playoff tickets for each home game, 2 of which were DH's.  So when a co-worker suggested to DH that he ought to take me to a playoff game, he asked if I'd like to go (I'd never been to a playoff game and had never dreamed that I'd EVER be able to go!).  I believe I said "yes" so fast that it would make your head spin!  (I remember telling a friend that I believed that I would have gone with Atilla the Hun if that was how I could get to a playoff game!).

This was most definitely NOT a date, although DH still insists that it was ... I covered the parking and bought my own hot dog & soda, for crying out loud!  It was NOT a date!  Especially since there were no other offers to go to a game or a movie or anything for another two years, although the phone calls became more frequent (I see it now, looking back in hindsight; since they always started with work-related discussions, I was clueless that there was anything behind our conversations other than business) ... until 1987 when he asked me to be his date at a Cardinals game in mid-August.  This time, he followed up with another date and another date and dropped the pretense of calling me for business-related purposes.

By the end of September, I knew that things were getting serious ... although we were both very cautious since we'd both been hurt - badly, very badly - in previous relationships.  It was about that time that I realized that if I were honest with myself, I'd have to admit that I loved him; I remember telling a friend that while we had never mentioned the future, I would say "yes" if he asked me to marry him. 

Wednesday's topic is going to be: How did he propose? Did you pick out your ring?  If you want to join in the fun, click on over to Kimberly's Korner and share!  I can't wait to read everyone else's love story.  ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Oh that's such a nice story! thanks for playing along today! I need you to link up on Wed. so I can hear the rest. :>))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's such a nice story! thanks for playing along today! I need you to link up on Wed. so I can hear the rest. :>))

    ReplyDelete

I am SO glad you stopped by! No proving that you're a robot here ... I want to hear what you have to say! ;-)