Wednesday, October 20, 2010

You and Your Spouse - Day Two

Remember, Kim's doing a meme on "you and your significant other".  On Monday the topic was how how did you and your significant other meet? and how did you know he was the one?  Today our topic is:
Day 1
How did your significant other propose?
and
Did you pick out your ring?

If you remember, DH & I fell in love during the 1987 Cardinals' run to the playoffs.
On October 24, the Cardinals were leading the Twins 3 games to 2; the Cardinals only had to win 1 of the 2 remaining games to become World Champions.  Game 5 was that afternoon, so DH & I made a date to watch the game ... but DH suggested that we get together for lunch before the game with dinner somewhere nice after the game.

He dropped by the house and gave me a card and a small package -- inside was a small diamond set on a simple gold chain.  I was sure that this would be it -- a proposal!!!  But nope, not yet.  Off to lunch we went.  The Cardinals lost (but we were sure that they'd win game 7), so we weren't too disappointed.  Dinner was at the 94th Aero Squadron Restaurant, which overlooked the runways at Lambert; other the a disappointing loss by the Cardinals, it was a good day ... one that neither of us wanted to end, so DH took the long way back to my house.

We were sitting in the car, in my driveway ... when he popped the question.  I was so surprised, so happy, so excited that I couldn't speak ... I could only hug him, crying and nodding my head "yes".

A little later, he shared that his original intention was to wait to ask me after the Cardinals won the World Series; over the years (up to 2006, anyway) I always teased him that it was a good thing that he didn't because we would have had to wait a looooooooooooooooong time!  ha!

The following week we went on the search of a ring.  I would have been happy with just nice matching wedding bands, but he was insistent that I have a proper engagement ring ... so that's what we got.  I did get to select the stone and the setting (a marquis stone in a simple, standard setting).

Friday will be Day Three - Is marriage all that you thought it was going to be and how long have you been married? What do you see for your future as a couple?  Now there are some thought-provoking questions.  ;-)  If you'd like to play along, just visit Kim at Kimberly's Korner.

5 comments:

  1. It was fun to read your story! Glad he went with his heart and not the Baseball playoffs : ) I posted mine too...it was fun putting it all in writing and I'm glad I have it recorded somewhere.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet memory!!! How awesome that he put such thought into the whole day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat proposal, loved that story. Thanks so much for stopping by and visiting my blog and I'll be back for "the rest of the story."

    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh you got the marquise ring that I wanted!! LOL thanks for playing along. My post is ready for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh you got the marquise ring that I wanted!! LOL thanks for playing along. My post is ready for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

I am SO glad you stopped by! No proving that you're a robot here ... I want to hear what you have to say! ;-)