Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Wednesday Hodgepodge - Jingle Bells edition



1. Have you ever been on a real sleigh ride? How about the warm weather version - a carriage ride?
No, I haven't.  Although we're definitely going to do a carriage ride the next time we visit Charleston.

 
2. What's your policy on 'chain mail'...you know, the emails you receive that are often some sort of poem/blessing/good wish that ask you to send it on to 10 or 12 friends? Do you delete without opening, read and trash, read and trash and then worry you won't be blessed/lucky/protected? Do you delete the sender from your contacts or just go ahead and send the love onward?
I usually skim those e-mails.  If the message (without the dire warnings at the end) is worth sending on, I do ... but I definitely delete all that nonsense at the end.  But most of the time, I just delete them.  I don't delete the sender from my address book, though.  The ones that really get my goat are the ones that claim that we're ashamed of Jesus if we don't send it along.  My relationship with Him has NOTHING to do with whatever I do with that e-mail.  <sigh>

3. Who is your favorite character in any of the Christmas movies and why?
Hmmmm... that's an interesting question.  I guess George Bailey (from It's a Wonderful Life - my very favorite Christmas movie ... every.single.time I watch it, I cry) because he (like me so many times) has to learn the hard way how truly blessed he is.  


4. Share a favorite quote. 
When you harbor bitterness, happiness will dock somewhere else.  My favorite Christmas related quote is Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people.  Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. 


5. What's your favorite holiday scent?
Freshly-cut Christmas trees!  Followed by freshly-baked Christmas cookies.  
 

6. Does the Christmas season stress you out? In what way?
Not really.  I do my shopping online (except this year, when DD did most of my shopping for me while she was out shopping while I was watching the Ts -- talk about your win-win situation!!).  I've stopped sending out any Christmas cards.  I don't do much cooking or baking, other than one day (one very, very special day) when DD & I get together to bake cookies.  I have minimized the amount of decorating I do (the tree, my snow village and nativity set are pretty much the extent of my decorating).  I've tried to slow down the pace of these days leading to Christmas, which has decreased the amount of stress.  

7. What's the best thing about your life right now? 
The freedom of being retired ... being able to help out DD (like Monday night when she asked if I could take T#1 to his Cub Scouts meeting so she could take T#3 to the urgent care center -- he has strep and an ear infection) ... being able to spend my days doing what I'd like when I'd like (sometimes that means quilting, sometimes that means cleaning/staining the deck, sometimes that means cleaning house, sometimes that means going for a long bike ride with DH).

8. Insert your own random thought here.
As we approach Christmas season, let us remember that the story of Jesus is more than one of a sweet babe in a manager.  Let us remember during this Christmas season that without the cross, the story of that baby in the manger is just another sweet story to be told at Christmastime.


THE CROSS IN THE MANGER
by Ann Weems

If there is no cross in the manger,
there is no Christmas.

If the Babe doesn’t become the Adult,
there is no Bethlehem star.

If there is no commitment in us,
there are no wise men searching.

If we offer no cup of cold water,
there is no gold, no frankincense, no myrrh.

If there is no praising God’s name,
there are no angels singing.

If there is no spirit of alleluia,
there are no shepherds watching.

If there is no standing up, no speaking out, no risk,
there is no Herod, no flight into Egypt.

If there is no room in our inn,
then “Merry Christmas” mocks the Christ Child,

and the Holy Family is just a holiday card,
and God will loathe our feasts and festivals.

For if there is no reconciliation,
we cannot call Christ “Prince of Peace”.

If there is no goodwill towards others,
it can all be packed away in boxes for another year.

If there is no forgiveness in us,
there is no cause for celebration.

If we cannot go even now unto Golgotha,
there is no Christmas in us.

If Christmas is not now,
If Christ is not born into the everyday present,
then what is all the noise about?


Wishing you all a blessed, thoughtful Christmas season.

13 comments:

  1. Great hodgepodge answers. I loved stopping by and getting to "meet" you! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that poem --it's just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm mostly online shopping this year. I had to go to the mall yesterday and parking took 15 minutes. Ugh. I prefer my comfy office chair : )

    Love that poem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you have planned for the season so you do not have stress. Great job there. Love that you watch grand child and daughter shops! Yes that is a win-win!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely poem and your random thought so true.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AMEN to you random thought!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your random thought and loved your quote about bitterness, that is something to really think about indeed!!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen to #2 and I'm in the same boat on #7--except we're self-employed and I get to work from home. Most days are my own and that is such a luxury!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love #8 and the poem. George Bailey is the best. I not retired but I am home. Can't wait to collect on it! Hope your having a great week and I enjoyed reading your answers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm basically not stressing over Christmas. It took me all but 30 min max to decorate the lil cottage.
    I don't have alot of extra money to spend on gifts so I don't have to fight the malls, or store.

    I'm trying to remember the Presence of Jesus over the Presents of the season.

    Have a great day!
    Viola over at www.alongawidowedroad.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love #8 and the poem. George Bailey is the best. I not retired but I am home. Can't wait to collect on it! Hope your having a great week and I enjoyed reading your answers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amen to #2 and I'm in the same boat on #7--except we're self-employed and I get to work from home. Most days are my own and that is such a luxury!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely poem and your random thought so true.

    ReplyDelete

I am SO glad you stopped by! No proving that you're a robot here ... I want to hear what you have to say! ;-)