Monday, December 20, 2010

Miscellany Monday

Miscellany Monday @ lowercase letters


The countdown to Christmas is now on in full force ... are you ready?  Since we're just a matter of a few days away from Christmas, this week's randomness will focus on what blesses me at Christmastime. 

1.  Christmas music

The two radio stations that I listen to have been playing Christmas music since Thanksgiving (one of them 24/7).  But this song has always been one that has touched me ... I think because as a mother, I can relate to Mary ... and always wondered if she truly understood what was happening to her, if she truly understood just who her baby was, if she truly understood why her baby came.

2.  Snow

We've had some snow this Christmas season ... not all that much, but it's been snow.  Of course, it's almost all melted now, but there is some wintry weather in the forecast for Christmas Eve (hopefully later rather than earlier since my sister L is scheduled to fly back home that afternoon).  It would be awesome if we could have some white this Christmas).

3.  Christmas movies

It's not Christmastime until we've watched Christmas movies.  I have a list of "must-see" Christmas movies ... and a list of movies that I need to add to my list.  ;-)

4.  Christmas cookies
It certainly isn't Christmastime until the cookies are baked.  DD & I have been doing this every Christmas for more years than I can remember.  The Ts are starting to get old enough that they want to help a little with the baking (they definitely want to help with the eating! ha!).  Tomorrow is baking day ... and I can't wait!


5.  Christmas decorations
It won't feel like Christmastime without my decorations and the tree.  We get a real tree and put it up right away (might as well sit in our house as out on the lot ... besides, on the 26th, I'm ready to take it down).  Even though I don't decorate as much as I used to, I still have my favorites that just *have* to go up.

Of course, all these things are good, fun things that help to make Christmastime a festive time ... but Christmas is far, far more than these things.  Christmas is God knowing that we needed a savior and providing that savior in the form of a tiny babe.  Christmas is Jesus knowing that His coming meant death ... on a cross ... and He came anyway and will come again, not as a helpless babe but as a King.  Christmas is living that joy and sharing that hope all year long.

May we enjoy these final days leading up to Christmas ... and may we never forget what Christmas truly is.

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are ready for Christmas! I love watching "White Christmas" too. No snow here yet and that's all right with me. Have a Special blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi sweet friend, Love all the sights & sounds of Christmas time. Have a joy filled week in His presence.
    Hugs, Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Mary Did You Know too. Sounds like a lot of fun things are going to take place and have taken place to make for another memorable Christmas for your family. And, when it's all over that's all we have left.

    Blessings for a heavenly Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nana,
    Everytime I hear that song, "Mary did you know..." If brings me to tears.
    Love the Christmas cookies.
    I've been really trying to hear god more and more lately with the Christmas season.
    I know I will be taking my stuff down Dec 31st.
    I've got such a small place, it starts to look cluttered.

    God bless your Holiday.

    Viola

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Mary Did You Know" is one of my favorite also ~ for the same reasons. I can only imagine what she was feeling ~ waiting for His birth.

    Hope you're having a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one of the best Christmas songs. I just watched White Christmas, it's so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you have a nice holiday! I haven't watched one Christmas movie! I am hoping to see at least one before Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Mary Did You Know" is one of my favorite also ~ for the same reasons. I can only imagine what she was feeling ~ waiting for His birth.

    Hope you're having a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you are ready for Christmas! I love watching "White Christmas" too. No snow here yet and that's all right with me. Have a Special blessed week.

    ReplyDelete

I am SO glad you stopped by! No proving that you're a robot here ... I want to hear what you have to say! ;-)