Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Wednesday Hodgepodge - Winter Edition



As always, Joyce has a wonderful list of questions for us this week.  If you'd like to play along or see what others have to say, click on the link above.


1. What is the most interesting thing you've done in the last year?
If I can fudge the "last year" part, I'd have to say that welcoming a new grandbaby - T#4 - was pretty interesting.  ;-) 

2. What is your most meaningful family heirloom?
Given that I just decorated the Christmas tree, I would have to include this snowman ornament in my list of meaningful family heirlooms.  My sisters and I used to "fight" over who got to put this ornament on the tree.  When we were all grown up and on our own, my mom allowed each of us to choose an ornament to keep ... this was one time when I was glad to be the oldest ... and of course, I chose the snowman.


The family heirloom that is truly most meaningful is the lighthouse nightlight that my mom gave me.  This was in the front hall at my mom's house when she was growing up ... and whoever was the last one home at night turned it off.  My mom wrote a note explaining the history of it, and I treasure that almost as much as the nightlight itself.  As you can see, it's barely survived the Ts (they reached the toddler stages way too soon ... I was totally unprepared for them to be walking and into things!) ... thankfully I've been able to glue it back together. 
Both of these will be handed down to DD.


3. What food festival would you most like to attend? If you're not sure click here to see a list of possibilities. 
I would like to attend the shrimp festival on Ft. Myers Beach/Sanibel Island in March.  We visited that area this past January and loved it ... and are planning another trip next March.  Now that I see they're having a shrimp festival in March, we may have to time our trip accordingly so we can take part in the shrimp festival.  ;-)

4. Snow...do you love it or is it considered a four letter word where you live?
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE snow ... unfortunately, we don't get nearly enough here.  You'd think we would here in south central Illinois ... we certainly used to.  But over the last few years, most of the good snow storms have gone to the north.  :-(

5. Can you ski? Do you ski? Are you any good? 
No, I can't snow.  Tried once when DD was in high school and her church youth group went to Hidden Valley to ski.  I couldn't even make it down the bunny slope.  I'd rather be inside, in front of the fire anyway! ha!

6. What quality in your spouse or best friend are you most thankful for?
Patience.  God knew what He was doing when He sent DH to me.

7. Describe the coziest spot in your home.
I feel coziest when I'm sitting in my recliner in the great room, with the fireplace going and quilting. 

8. Insert your own random thought here.
I've got a dentist appointment this afternoon.  Even though I've been blessed with good, strong teeth, I always dread going to the dentist.  I hate having to lie with my head a little lower than my feet for a half hour or so (my teeth stain easily so cleaning them always seems to take forever).  
   

16 comments:

  1. I agree with the shrimp festival. There's a seafood festival about an hour from her in October I think it is. YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Ft. Myers area...being in town for a shrimp fest would be great! Your heirlooms are special...I love the handwritten story part too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if anyone does a chocolate festival......hmmmm.

    I know what you mean about the story. I have a few things in my mom's handwriting and they are so precious to me. I actually keep them in my fireproof box along with my other important papers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved both of your family heirlooms--especially the stories behind them. My children used to fight over a canvas needlepoint "Rudolph" ornament, so I can identify with fighting over the ornamnent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neat that you have stories to go with your heirlooms. And a shrimp festival? Sign me up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the stories that go with the heirlooms. Makes them more special. Hope your DD likes them as much as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your heirlooms! And, I could definitely do a shrimp festival. There's so many wonderful ways to fix it and we have the best ways right here in Louisiana. :o)

    Enjoyed stopping by and love your holiday side borders on your blog! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a wonderful story about the nightlight! Very precious memory and heirloom! I am sure you treasure it so very much!! Why is it we all dread going to the dentist? I often feel a bit sorry for the dentists (but still dread going :)

    have a great evening!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  9. ohhhh the fireplace and easy chair with the quilting sound wonderful. Toasty warm.

    Take care Viola

    ReplyDelete
  10. We went to Sanibel Island years ago. Wonderful place!

    Enjoyed reading your answers. Hope you survived the dentist okay!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the new grandbaby! Aren't they the best!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just returned to Munich from Ft. Myers. I was there visiting my sister. I will have to book a trip during that shrimp festival too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on the new grandbaby! Aren't they the best!

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a wonderful story about the nightlight! Very precious memory and heirloom! I am sure you treasure it so very much!! Why is it we all dread going to the dentist? I often feel a bit sorry for the dentists (but still dread going :)

    have a great evening!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your heirlooms! And, I could definitely do a shrimp festival. There's so many wonderful ways to fix it and we have the best ways right here in Louisiana. :o)

    Enjoyed stopping by and love your holiday side borders on your blog! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved both of your family heirlooms--especially the stories behind them. My children used to fight over a canvas needlepoint "Rudolph" ornament, so I can identify with fighting over the ornamnent.

    ReplyDelete

I am SO glad you stopped by! No proving that you're a robot here ... I want to hear what you have to say! ;-)