It’s Wednesday, and I’m really excited about that. #1- It’s Hodgepodge day!! #2- It’s my last day at work this week … 4 days off! #3- It’s Game 1 of the World Series (see #5 below)!
If you want to play along or see how everyone else answered the questions, click on the button above.
1. How do you typically react in a sudden, extreme, pressure-filled crisis? Would we want you nearby in an emergency?
No, I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t want me nearby in an emergency. Example: about 15 years ago, we had someone knocking at our door one evening … it was our neighbor who told us that he noticed on his way home that our roof was on fire. I said thank you and shut the door. DD and DH asked who was it … I relayed the neighbor’s message and thankfully they were able to respond appropriately.
2. Caramel apple-caramel sundae-caramel corn-caramel macchiato...of the four, which caramel treat would you choose?
A caramel apple … if it’s from Bobby’s – a local frozen custard stand that offers THE BEST caramel apples … big crisp Granny Smiths, double-dipped in made-from-scratch caramel and then covered in fresh pecan chips. (Am I the only one who doesn’t know what a caramel macchiato is - some coffee drink, I’m assuming??).
3. Is there such a thing as destiny? Explain.
I don’t think so. Destiny is:
the predetermined, usually inevitable or irresistible, course of events or the power or agency that determines the course of events.I do not believe that destiny is the power or agency that determines the course of events … God is the only power capable of determining the course of events, and while He has a plan for our lives and while He does move in our lives, He has also given us free will to choose whatever we want. We are not puppets, and He is not a puppeteer.
4. What's your favorite piece of furniture? I'm referring to something currently in your possession as opposed to something on your wish list.
I have a “cricket” chair that was my mom’s. It’s not an expensive chair, but she had it for about as long as I can remember. I'd like to get the pads reupholstered.
5. Wednesday night marks the start of the 2011 Baseball World Series. Did you know? Do you care? Will you be watching? Ever been to a professional baseball game? If you're not an American do you find the title 'World Series' annoying or amusing?
I do believe, Joyce, that you wrote this question just for me. ;-) Yes, yes, yes,and yes. I am a baseball fan – a St. Louis Cardinals fan. I have been since my earliest memory … I wasn’t in kindergarten yet and had a severe case of pneumonia. Our doctor recommended that my family head south for a bit so I could recover. It just happened to be during spring training, so we went to St. Petersburg. Every day my mom would take my sister and me to the beach while my dad would go to the spring training camp. I remember crying one day because I wanted to go to spring training with my dad. I guess you could say that was the beginning of my love for Cardinals baseball and the beach. ;-)
As a Cardinals fan, you’d better believe I care and that I’ll be watching. We have small group tomorrow night, but I know that the game will be on as soon as we finish the study. And yes, I’ve been to a professional baseball game … hundreds probably. I went to many games with my parents when I was growing up … a couple of years they shared season tickets with another family, so we went a number of times. DH had a share in season tickets when we met … every one of our dates were to Cardinals games. Now that we’re retired, we go to Florida every March for spring training.
Ok, ok, I’ll stop before your eyes glaze over … except to say:
6. A sound that takes me back to my childhood is____________.
The sound of a wooden screen door shutting. I don’t hear that much any more, but when I do, I’m back in the mid 1950’s.
7. On average, once you've linked your hodgepodge post to mine how many other participant blogs do you visit? Do you ever come back to the Hodgepodge later in the day or even the day after to read posts?
I’ve never counted how many participating blogs I visit. There are probably 15 or so that I follow every day, and I do come back later to read some posts from those who I don’t normally follow … I’ve found a couple of new blogs to follow as a result of doing that over these months.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
It’s gotten quite chilly … we finally had to break down and turn on the furnace yesterday. We had even had the fireplace on in the mornings. I love the convenience of a gas fireplace … just flip a switch and it’s on … no tending the fire nor clean up afterwards. But it’s still not like a real fire.