Wednesday, February 6, 2013
It’s Wednesday again … and that means that it’s time for some more Hodgepodge.
1. Chinese New Year will be celebrated on February 10th, and 2013 is the year of the snake. When did you last see a snake? Are you okay around snakes or do they give you the shivers?
The last time that I can remember seeing a snake was a couple of years ago when I encountered a garter snake while mowing the lawn. Unfortunately he could slither faster than I could push the mower. Because as far as I’m concerned, the only good snake is a dead snake.
2. The color red in Chinese culture usually means good luck. Do you believe in luck?
No, I don’t believe in luck. On the surface, things may seem to happen randomly or by chance, but the Bible tells us that God is in control of all of His creation and that with Him in control, there are no random or chance happenings. I know that God has a purpose for every one of us, and nothing happens in our lives that is not in some way, whether large or small, a part of that plan.
3. sledding-ice skating-building a snowman...if given a choice, which activity would you choose? Which of the three have you done most recently?
Honestly, I cannot remember which of those three I’ve done most recently. I’d have to say ice skating, since I can remember doing that (about 15-20 years ago) and cannot remember sledding or building a snowman in the last 15-20 years. And in the interest of full disclosure, I’ll have to say that I didn’t actually ice skate … I tried, but my ankles were just too weak.
4. Ralph Waldo Emerson is credited as saying, "The years teach much which the days never knew." Where have you seen this quote played out in your own life?
When raising DD as a single mom. In the midst of that time, my focus was on each individual day … now that I’m many, many years removed from that time of my life, I see that those days were far, far more than just a collection of individual days … it was the foundation for the relationship that I have with DD.
5. When was the last time you ate a cupcake?
Last Sunday. After church we attended a chicken dinner fundraiser, and I chose a red velvet cupcake for dessert. It was yummy!
6. What's something you can't say no to?
If I can change that “something” to “someone”, I’d have to say my grands. I have a hard time telling them “no”.
7. Are you a doodler?
Not much any more. When I was working and sitting at a desk, I’d doodle a lot while on the phone. Now that I'm retired, I walk around the house, getting little things accomplished while I'm on the phone.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
I promised a picture of my finished Disappearing Four Patch wall quilt. I call this my “Lesson Learned” quilt. I still love this block and plan to make another quilt using this block … but I have learned some valuable lessons (the hard way, of course) that will help me make a D4P that I’ll be happier with when I’m done.