Wednesday, February 20, 2013
Is it really Wednesday already? Not only are we halfway to the weekend, it’s time for some Hodgepodge! If you’d like to play along (the more the merrier) or if you’d like to see how others answered these questions, just click on the button above.
1. When were you last 'on a mountaintop'? You may answer in the literal or figurative sense.
Literally? I don’t know. We were in the Rockies when we visited Estes Park a few years back, but we didn’t get to the TOP of any mountain. Figuratively? I’m sure that there are more recent “mountaintops”, but the one that came first to my mind was seeing T#1 baptized 3 years ago.
2. Do you establish and maintain a strict budget in your household? What is one piece of financial advice you would offer someone just starting out on their own?
We have a budget but I wouldn’t say that it’s a strict one … I’d say that our budget is more of a “moving target”. The financial advice I’d give someone starting out is to save … save for retirement, save for children’s education, save for big expenditures. Not only will he/she be prepared financially for life’s big moments, but he/she will be able to avoid the pitfall of credit card debt.
3. Cherries-yay or nay? Cherry pie, cherry cola, black forest cake, or a scoop of Ben and Jerry's Cherries Garcia...pick one.
I’d have to say that I’m not a huge fan of cherries, so I’ll say cherry pie. I love pies, especially fruit pies. And there’s just enough tartness to pie cherries to keep a cherry pie from being too sweet.
4. Should you ever discuss religion or politics with people you don't know?
I grew up in an era when it was considered poor taste to discuss religion and politics, and while I’m more than willing to share my faith as I’m called to do, I’m still not comfortable discussing politics. In the last 8-10 years, it seems that politics has really polarized this country. It seems that so many (on either side of the “fence”) have closed their minds and are unwilling to logically and rationally discuss political issues.
5. When you take a road trip, do you prefer to be the driver or the passenger? Where were you headed on your last road trip?
I prefer to be the passenger, but I’m willing to take a turn behind the wheel. Thankfully DH prefers to drive, so I’m the navigator, something that I have to admit that I’m pretty good at. Not bragging, just stating a fact. When I was growing up, my dad needed a navigator, and my mom just couldn’t read a map … so the job fell to me. ;-) Our last road trip was to Florida and back for our cruise.
6. If we peeked inside your closet, what color would we say is most prevalent?
It appears to be a toss-up between red and peach/coral. I would have guessed the peach/coral (I’ve been told that color flatters me, so when shopping, I always reach for those colors), but I was surprised by the amount of red in my closet (although I guess I shouldn’t have been … between some red pieces, some Christmas tops and some Cardinals t-shirts).
7. Who's your favorite senior citizen and why are they special?
I would have to say my dad …although he is far from perfect, he’s still my dad.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
We’ve got a winter storm coming tomorrow … 6” of snow and ice (freezing rain/sleet). I’m excited about the snow, but the ice? Not so much.
And as I mentioned in my Weekend Wrap-up, I got my quilt sandwiched and ready for quilting Friday evening. Unfortunately, DH had already gone to bed so I had to resort to taking a picture of the quilt while it was on the table for basting. I wasn’t able to get a good angle, and the lighting isn’t very good … but I did get a picture of it to share.