Wednesday, January 8, 2014
A Snowy Hodgepodge
It’s Wednesday, and that means time for the Hodgepodge. Yes, I know … it’s been a loooooong time since I’ve taken part … but for some unknown reason I just cannot wrap my brain around writing up my Hodgepodge post Tuesday night … and with needing to be at DD’s at 6:30AM on Wednesday mornings, I just don’t have time to write my post before I leave … I don’t know about you, but I need more time to ponder the answers to Joyce’s questions. I guess that means that I’m just going to have to link up Wednesday afternoon.
1. Every January 1st since 1976 Lake Superior University has published a list of words they'd like to see banished from the Queen's English. Words may be banished due to misuse, overuse or just general uselessness (go here to read more about how the words were chosen). Here are the words/phrases they'd like to see banished in 2014-
selfie, twerk/twerking, hashtag, Twittersphere, Mr. Mom, T-bone, _______on steroids, the suffixes-ageddon and -pocalypse added to anything and everything, from the world of politics the words-intellectually/morally bankrupt and Obamacare, and from the world of sports the words-adversity and fan base
Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Is there a word not on the list you'd like to add?After surviving Snowmageddon, I vote for eliminating the suffixes –ageddon and –pocalypse.
2. What one unfinished project nags at you begging to be completed in this new year?
Tidying up the basement … reorganizing our storage shelves, getting rid of empty boxes are high on my list of things to do down there.
3. When did you last have a bowl of soup? What kind? Homemade or from a can? What's your favorite soup?
DH made chili Sunday afternoon. Now that he has a snow blower, there really was no need to go out and shovel periodically … doing so would have been futile even if he had no snow blower, what with the heavy snowfall and crazy winds. So we just stayed inside. My favorite soup is Chicken Enchilada Soup (DD's recipe).
4. Snowed in, snowed under, snow job...which one most applies to your life in recent days, figuratively speaking?
Snowed in … what with 15” of snow and bitterly cold temperatures, we were snowed in the last three days. I did get out this morning as DD worked this morning … the main roads were fairly clear, but the side roads were a mess. The traction alert on my dash was lit up like a Christmas tree virtually the entire time I drove through our subdivision. The street crews were back this afternoon, working on our streets, so hopefully I’ll have an easier time getting out of the subdivision Friday morning.
5. What's the funniest movie you've ever seen, or at least one of the funniest?
Hmmmmm … I’m having a hard time with this one. I like a good comedy, but it’s not my favorite genre. I guess I’ll just pass, although I’m sure I’ll kick myself as I read everyone else’s answer.
6. In general, would you say you're clumsy?
Not really … thankfully as quilting has several dangerous tools (seam rippers and rotary cutters).
7. Elvis Presley was born on Hodgepodge Day (January 8th) back in 1935. Are you an Elvis fan? What's your favorite Elvis tune? If that's too hard, which Elvis tune do you dislike the least? Click here for a list of his songs.
I’m not, nor have I ever been a fan of Elvis.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
I can’t believe it … I’m the Queen of Random and haven’t a random thought worth sharing. I’ve spent 15 minutes wracking my brain for something even semi-sharable (is that a word? if not, I believe it should be!) so I’m going to wrap things up or this won’t get posted on Wednesday at all!