Thursday, March 21, 2013

A Little Randomness for Thursday



My friend Mary participated in a fun meme, and I thought I’d steal copy and join in the fun. 

What were you doing 10 yrs ago?
I was still working … I had just moved into a new position at the University.  My previous position had been eliminated … I remember my supervisor expressing her regret at having to “let me go” while I was trying my best to hold back my joy.  I was so glad to be able to return back to the main campus.

5 Things on your to-do list
  • Fold laundry
  • Get to the Y to workout
  • Check my files to see when the final installment on our vacation houses is due for our Florida trip
  • Tidy up my sewing area
  • Quilt Winking smile

5 Snacks you enjoy
  • Popcorn
  • Animal crackers
  • Granola
  • Cookies
  • Pudding packs

Name something you would do if you were a millionaire
Donate to charity, pay off DD’s house, buy a house on the beach somewhere warm, invest.

Name places you have lived
  • Bond County
  • Effingham, IL (for just a couple of months)
  • Madison County

Name some bad habits you have
Spending too much time on my computer or iPad (although I’m working on that one), fidgeting with my fingers.

Name some jobs you have had
  • Carhop
  • Waitress
  • Secretary
  • Office Manager
  • Accountant


When DH asked me when I was going to make a quilt using the skills I learned at my paper-piecing class, my immediate response was once I got done with the quilts for our granddaughters … but I got to thinking that I’d really like to get started on something sooner.  I was reminded of the quilt from tiny little pineapple blocks that my bloggy friend Teresa made last month, and I got to thinking … how long could a small block take?  And if I made one block a week, I could have a small wall quilt in a couple of months … and it wouldn’t interfere with my hand quilting projects.  I dug through my boxes of fabrics and found some already-cut strips of blue and white (my favorite!) and voila!  A tiny pineapple block … 3 1/2” (it’ll finish at 3”). 
photo
I’ve got other blues that I’ll use in the other blocks to give the quilt a bit of a scrappy flavor. 



Spring is still waiting to make its appearance here … our temperatures will stay in the upper 30’s/lower 40’s – with snow in the forecast for Sunday!  Now, you all know I love, love, love snow … but NOT in March!  I’m ready for warmer weather … I’m tired of wearing multiple layers of clothing (jeans, a long-sleeved t-shirt with 2 sweatshirts over it, 2 pairs of socks) and still being cold.

15 comments:

  1. 10 years ago… I can't even remember yesterday. LOL

    Let's see, we were still in our old home, my oldest was in middle school, I weighed 15 pounds lighter.

    Have a wonderful day Kathy! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning, Kathy!
    I, seriously, could eat my weight in popcorn! Every time one of my favorite shows comes on TV, that's the first thing I crave. I love to sprinkle it with white cheddar seasoning. So yummy! Please tell me you're not getting more snow! Do you think it will ever end? I just checked your blogroll and am wondering why it's not updated to show my most recent blog post? Very strange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I absolutely LOVE your little blue and white pineapple!!! Great job - looks like you've got paper-piecing conquered :*)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading your answers, and learning a bit more about you :)

    A trip to Florida? Now I'm jealous!

    I love the way your work experience progressed from carhop to accountant :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love, love, love that blue quilt square.

    10 years ago, I was where I am today for work.

    So you were an accountant? Interesting.

    If you get that house on the beach...can I come visit? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You lived in THE Madison County? As in Bridges of Madison County?

    I'm now craving Animal crackers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great questions and answers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 10 years ago I was working as the Director of a large church preschool and kindergarten. My girls were in the 7th and 9th grade which truly feels like more than 10 years ago. We lived in Maryland and had no idea that in just three months we'd be offered a job in the UK, sell everything, and go : )

    I love the blues in your little quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there, I just love your Pineapple block. Loved hearing your answers. I spend too much time in blog land but I love it. Pinning some pieces now, hopefully will sew in a bit.
    Our answers on many of the questions were the same. Have a warm afternoon inside, snow is on its way here.
    Hugs, Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ten years ago, I still had two kids at home and only had one grandchild! Snow in March, huh? We have been having spring weather, but we are now having that one last cold snap before Easter that we always have.Not as cold as you, but cold enough! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoyed reading your answers and love your little pineapple block - can't wait to see more of them! Stay warm! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am sitting here trying to remember what I was doing 10 years ago! I would have to go back and look at old calendars.....otherwise known as my memory keepers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Like your plans for that million dollars. I've never been a waitress. Now when you say fold laundry does that mean it is in the dryer or you have a basket of laundry to fold. I fold everything right out of the dryer or it gets all wrinkled. Just wondering.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the quilt block. Spring is slow in making it's appearance here too, we actually had snow flurries today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Popcorn is one of my favorite snacks. I actually made some today. Just checking in and seeing how your doing.

    ReplyDelete

I am SO glad you stopped by! No proving that you're a robot here ... I want to hear what you have to say! ;-)