Thursday, March 14, 2013

No More Reader? and Other Random Stuff


When I went to my Google Reader this evening, I received a notification that effective July 1, 2013, Google Reader will no longer be available.  Surprised smile  Has anyone else seen that?  I have to admit that I’m at a loss as to how I’m going to follow my favorite blogs now.  I know that I could bookmark them, but that would mean going through all 50 blogs every day just to see if there are any new posts.  Nope, I don’t see that as a reasonable alternative.  Anyone got any ideas?

I’m making progress with T#2’s quilt.  I’ve got all the “interior” blocks quilted … I’m quilting all the outside blocks and the borders now.  It seems like I ought to be just a day or two away from being done once I get to the outside row of blocks, but there are almost as many blocks making up the perimeter as there are on the inside.  Winking smile

I’m going to be taking a paper-piecing class next week, and the fabric shop sent me a 20% off coupon to use for supplies (or anything else I want).  So I think I’ll pick up the fabrics for a new project … a red and white Drunkard’s Path wall quilt.
(source:  Google Search) 
I plan to hand piece this … I’ve been wanting to hand piece for some time so I could have a portable project.  We’ll see how working on 2 projects at the same time goes … whether it affects my one-project-at-a-time OCD-ness.  Winking smile  Since I don’t trust myself to trace a template accurately, I’m going to use Inklingo … I like that it will include markings to match my pieces as well as where to stop hand stitching.  DH thinks it’s too complicated, and I have to admit that I’m a little overwhelmed (but then I’m easily overwhelmed by new things until I can get my hands on it and try it myself).  

Our builder has started another house across the street.  That will be the 29th house in our little subdivision … when we moved here, there were only 4 houses and ours was the only one occupied.  What’s especially amazing is that part of the reason we moved (besides wanting a single-story home for our “old age”) was because we were experiencing neighbor issues.  Sad smile  We had no idea what kinds of neighbors we’d have here, but we followed God’s leading … and have been blessed with wonderful neighbors. 

19 comments:

  1. That is always so nice when you follow God and He gives you nice neighbors.
    Our house before this one we prayed like that, one of my secret desires was that I would have grand mothers for my kids. I ended up having them on every side. Lovely, lovely people.
    Wow, I didn't know that about Google reader. I am sure I will see that message soon too.
    Your quilt looks very nice.
    It sounds nice too.
    Have a wonderful day today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used Blog Lovin' to update all my blogs over... but man, its not the same as Google Reader.

    I know there are quite a few options, but for the most part, a lot of them look like they're best for tablets or phones... I ended up cleaning out a lot of blogs on the move...

    but I did like I can organize into different categories simply.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this on FB this morning.. Holy cow! Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I sure don't want to stop blogging.... Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning! I use "my blog list" that you can get on the layout of the blogger and put my favorites there and have it set to come up when they have put up something new. Soo I simply go on my own page, and then scroll to my list and there they all are according to who is the most recent with a new post. It works well for me. The problem is it doesn't hold as many as I actually follow, but they are the ones I most frequently get to etc. When I have more time I check my whole list (seems like that never happens, haha) Neighbors haven't been an issue for me for years...it is hard when they are. Some of my neighbors over the years have ended up being our best friends. The people in this senior park are friendly, sweet, quiet, helpful etc., but truthfully much more my mother's age. We don't have much in common, haha, so we don't do visit or do much with any of them. My hubby is the designated "helper" however, lol. They all call him when they need help moving or lifting something. Hope you get some good ones! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really don't rely on Google Reader. I just use my blog list on my sidebar. Whenever someone posts, it goes straight to the top. I've never had a problem keeping up with my favorite bloggers that way. Just seems like things are constantly getting switched around. Ooh...good luck with the hand piecing. If anyone can pull it off, I know it's you! Best of luck with your new neighbors...I'm sure they'll work out just fine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use Blogger Dashboard. Seems that whatever you use, it will update or change. Guess that keeps our minds active! Can't wait to see how the hand piecing goes! We are getting more snow today! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am reading blogs but I will send you something to use - remind me if I forget. I am disappointed in google too. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always used the dashboard too. I hope that continues to work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a beautiful quilt. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think about it as your start working on it.

    I'm working on several crochet projects at the same time and I'm rather enjoying it. It keeps me from getting board with the same stitch all the time.

    So glad you have wonderful neighbors. That is such a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never used Google reader. But the way I keep up is by putting the blogs I like to read the most in my sidebar. Then setting it so that when someone writes a new post, it moves that blog to the top of the list. This is how I've always done it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there, I used to use Google Reader but now just use my blog list on dashboard. Hope they don't mess with that. I always loved paper piecing(once I got my mind processing the steps needed); I can't wait to see what you do. I prayed over our move here and loved the house but when we were first here, our daughter & her family were in it. I am blessed to have a best friend down the street. Now I pray for the house my hubby wants to live in for ever-he doesn't like our home and we have to stay put for another few years.
    Hope you have a good evening.
    Love, Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've only ever used the blog follow list on the lower half of a the blogger dashboard page. it works great for me. The blogs that you follow show up in that list every time they make a new post. That's how I found this post today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I use Dashboard and haven't had any problems with it. Hoping your new neighbors are as "good" as the ones you have now on your "block" :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mine must be on my blog list too, be ause I'm ashamed to say I don't know what google reader is.......I may have to go to remedial blogging school!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice neighbors...what a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That Dunkards Path seems complicated! I do like the idea of a portable project. I got my red & white one finished and sent to the quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That Dunkards Path seems complicated! I do like the idea of a portable project. I got my red & white one finished and sent to the quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The DP quilt will be gorgeous. I love having a portable project.

    I really dislike all of these blog changes. Can't they just quit rocking the boat?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I switched to Bloglovin'. It took some time to transfer all my feed over. After that it took no time at all to get a hang of the new Reader.
    If you want help with this, let me know. I can step you through it.

    ReplyDelete

I am SO glad you stopped by! No proving that you're a robot here ... I want to hear what you have to say! ;-)