1. The Summer Olympics begin next week and London is playing host. If you had the chance to go in person which (non-Olympic) London site would you most like to visit?
I would have a hard time narrowing that down to just one site, but since I need to choose one, I’ll choose Buckingham Palace.
2. What is something in your life right now that feels like an Olympic event?
Getting through this summer feels like an Olympic event … with the drought and the hot, hot weather. More triple digit temperatures today and again no realistic chance for rain.
3. What's your favorite supper to prepare and serve when it's too hot to cook?
Our George Foreman has been getting a lot of use since it’s turned hot here. We got a bigger one, so we can put on a couple of chicken breasts or chuck-eye steaks and have cooked meat without adding a lot of heat to the house (or all that much work). We’ll add a salad, some slices of tomatoes from our neighbor’s garden, and some watermelon and have a nice meal.
4. July 18th is National Get Out of the Doghouse Day...when was the last time you were 'in the doghouse'?
To be honest, I cannot remember the last time I would have been “in the doghouse”. But I did get to thinking about how that phrase came into being. There doesn’t seem to be a clear consensus as to the origin of that phrase. Some seem to think that it is linked to Peter Pan, where Mr. Darling lives for a time in their dog’s house as penance for his mistreatment of their dog which caused the children to fly away with Peter Pan. Others think that it’s from the idea of banishing a dog out to his house when he’s misbehaved.
5. What television advertisement do you find particularly irritating or inappropriate? You may not answer with 'all of them'. I know some of you were thinking about it.
Hardee’s uses rather scantily-dressed woman in provocative poses in their commercials, and I find that offensive on so many levels.
6. Share one piece of interesting news from the year you were born.
I was born in 1951, the year that President Truman signed a peace treaty with Japan that officially ended World War II. I always thought that WWII ended in 1945 – VJ Day, as I suspect that most people do … so I found that interesting.
7. What's the best part of your average day?
My mornings. I love getting up as the sign is coming up … it’s quiet and peaceful. DH is usually still sleeping, so I have some time to myself. While I do get up early, I’m not usually ready to hit the floor running … I like taking an hour or two to slowly get going on my day.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
I’m so frustrated … a gal at church is going to have back surgery next week and asked if we could get some meals to her and her husband during her 6-week recovery (her husband has his own health issues, so he’s unable to provide meals for them). I’ve been asked to coordinate meals for 3 of those 6 weeks. I asked 20+ women, all of whom have provided meals to new moms or women who’ve been incapacitated with health issues. So far, I’ve gotten 7 affirmative responses. I know that the other woman have provided meals in the past, so I don’t know why they’re unwilling to help. Coordinating meals is probably not a good ministry for me … I take it so personally when we cannot get enough volunteers to provide enough meals. <sigh>