It’s Hump Day … and time for the Hodgepodge!
1. The Summer Olympics officially begin this Friday night...will you be watching? If you could see just one event in person which one would you pick?
Yes, I’ll be watching … I love the Olympics! In the Summer Olympics, I love the swimming and diving events especially. So if I could see just one, it’d probably be one of the high dive events … that’s as much as I could narrow it down.
2.Do lazy days make you feel rested or unproductive?
I can’t remember a day where I did absolutely nothing (even my laziest days involve some quilting … since it’s so enjoyable and relaxing for me), so a lazy day is still a productive one. And they make me feel rested and restored.
3. July 25th is 'officially' Threading the Needle Day...can you sew? On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being not at all and 10 being Betsy Ross-like, how would you rate your skill with a needle and thread?
One of the greatest legacies my mom left was love of sewing (right after love of reading). She made sure that my sister and I learned to sew. The first thing I remember sewing was an A-line skirt (have I given away my age yet? ha!). I sewed all of DD’s dresses when she was a little girl. I’d say that I’m probably an 8. I won’t be threading the needle on Threading the Needle Day … the house is such a mess with furniture moved all over the place to accommodate the floor refinishers, so I don’t have a spot to sit and quilt … otherwise, I’d definitely be celebrating that day with a needle and thread!
4. 'Threading the Needle' can also mean to walk a fine line between two things or issues (think awkward social situation). When was the last time you had to 'thread the needle', figuratively speaking?
Probably when dealing with people of differing political persuasions, especially if those people happen to be family, and especially if they happen to be quite outspoken in their opinions.
5. Kidney, pinto, black, or navy...your favorite bean?
I like them all. I love kidney and pinto beans in chili. I always use black beans when making taco salad. And I use navy beans in my white chili.
6. Have you ever hosted a garage sale? Was it more success or bust?
Yes, and I’ve sworn never again … too much work with too little to show for it. Instead, I give away what I can and take the rest to Goodwill. I do get a gift receipt from Goodwill so I can claim it on our taxes, so we do profit a little … probably as much as if I had a garage sale.
7. What makes you roll your eyes?
Probably when DH tells some of his corny jokes … he’s got a strange sense of humor, that’s for sure.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
Today is our last day of being displaced. We’ve run all our errands and done all our shopping. It’s supposed to get back up to 107 today, so it’ll be too hot to do anything outside (oh if only it were cooler, we’d definitely visit the Lantern Festival at the Missouri Botanical Garden in St. Louis.) So … what to do in the 6 hours before the floors are dry enough to walk on? We decided to drive up along the river to Hannibal, MO.