Monday, October 1, 2012

Goodbye to September, Hello to October




It is so hard for me to believe that the weekend wrapped up September and now it’s October already!  In my mind, it’s about the middle of September.  Winking smile

My weekend got off to a busy start.  We headed over to St. Louis to shop for a sewing machine … and I bought a new machine! 
(picture courtesy of Bernina www.bernina.com)
It’s far from Bernina’s fanciest machine, but I don’t need a machine that does all that those fancier (and more expensive) machines will do … actually this machine will do more than I really need it to do although I am thinking about giving the machine applique stitch a try.  It should arrive Wednesday, and after they give a test drive to make sure that everything’s A-OK, they’ll call and schedule my “training” time.  I picked up some yardage to use for sashing and border of my next quilt, an I-Spy quilt for my grands. 

While we were in St. Louis, we stopped at our favorite sub shop.  We love Firehouse Subs and since they’re located predominantly in the south, we always try to stop at one while traveling.  They’ve finally opened one in the St. Louis area, so we had to stop there for a sub.  Laughing out loud

Saturday was another busy day  … we went out to visit my dad, where I performed “miracles” (in my dad’s opinion, anyway) by restoring his new iPhone.  His old one wouldn’t open, so my sister upgraded him to an iPhone 4 which worked just fine for a couple of weeks.  Last week, he had trouble getting his email … and a day later, he couldn’t get anything … just a screen with foreign words.  Turns out, the iPhone lost everything … somehow had returned to factory condition … so I had to set it back up for him, with the settings that he prefers.  Just between you and me, I have to think that there was some operator error here … but I cannot prove that, and it really doesn’t matter because the iPhone is working just fine now.  Anyway, he gave me his old iPhone … thinking that if I could perform a “miracle” in getting his new one restored, I could perhaps do the same for his old one.  Turns out, plugging it back into the charger was all it needed to be able to open (he’d let the battery get .  We thought that perhaps DH would get an iPhone (my sister gave me her old iPhone when she upgraded to an iPhone 4 … we don’t pay for any cellular data, so I just use it as a small tablet).  Unfortunately, it cannot locate our wi-fi network, so I’ll just load some games onto it … and keep it (with the other iPhone) in my purse for entertaining the Ts if we’re out and about. 

After we got back home Saturday, we drove up to Books a Million to stand in line for the book signing for Tony LaRussa’s new book One Last Strike.  My other sister is an even bigger Cardinals fan and is a huge Tony LaRussa fan as well, so she asked if we would be willing to get her an autographed copy of his new book.  Turns out Books a Million offered 300 pre-assigned line spots to their club members, which were all snatched up within 2 hours … meaning non-club members (like us) were out of luck, even though we got to the store 3 hours before the signing was to begin.  DH had a great idea … we’d buy the book and he’d come back after the signing began in hopes of finding someone he knew who’d be willing to get our book signed at the same time they got their book signed … turns out he didn’t see anyone he knew in line, but he did find a kind soul who was willing to get our book signed.  Whew … my sister would have been so disappointed had she not gotten the book signed by LaRussa.  Winking smile

Sunday was a quieter day with church in the morning, where I got to spend the morning with T#4 in the toddler nursery.  We watched the Cardinals game, did a little work out in the yard, and watched a couple of episodes of NCIS Season 9 (while I quilted). 

It was nice to have a quieter day to wrap up the weekend, as it looks to be a pretty busy week ahead … possibly having the Ts here this afternoon, small group this evening, living room furniture delivered tomorrow afternoon, meeting at church tomorrow evening, candle party Thursday evening, and annual neighborhood block party Saturday afternoon.

16 comments:

  1. I hope you have a wonderful week. I think you must have made your dad very happy by fixing his phone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got a machine you like and got your book signed! A very productive day I would say! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great weekend... & a sewing machine to boot! makes it a pretty AWESOME weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great weekend! Glad you got your Dad's phone fixed! This should be a great week for you - it is new sewing machine week! Enjoy! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want a sewing machine - yours looks great. Sounds like a busy and happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you were able to pick out a new sewing machine. Hope you love it when you get it. Sounds like you have a wonderful and busy week coming up. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice weekend and I love your new machine!!! I can't wait to hear you you like it once you get all acquainted with it. I always enjoying reading about what you have been up to and I like the story about the I phone it made me smile.
    I do hope you have a very nice week. With lots of quilting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy October to you! Oh a Bernina-you lucky gal you! I know you'll love it. I'm impressed that you were able to set up your dad's IPhone for him-I don't think I could have done it. I love mine and hubby has a 4S and loves it too. You are so busy, with your T's and new furniture and church etc-I wonder how you find time to quilt.
    Have a great afternoon.
    Hugs, Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  9. You were so busy this weekend. Love that, I didn't do much of anything but read posts. Kinda sad :( How exciting to get a new sewing machine. Hope you love it and way to go on getting that book signed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kathy!
    Talk about a snazzy sewing machine! I bet it does nearly everything except mop the floors! Enjoy! I have an iPhone and I still don't know how to do a lot of things with it...so thankful to have Abby's assistance! It's hard to believe that October has arrived, but I'm ready for it! Abby's Sweet 16 is in 10 days and our 23rd anniversary is on the 21st!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your 'miracle worker' story : ) Have fun with your new machine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello! It is taking me soo long to catch up! I know you will love your new sewing machine! I bought a Bernia YEARS ago, and have used the thing more than you could ever imagine, and it is STILL running like new. I LOVE it. I don't use all the fancy stitches anymore but I sure did at one time....soo fun. New living room furniture? Sounds exciting! You sure had a good week-end, and the week ahead sounds busy but good. ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, you do have a busy week coming up! Enjoy that new sewing machine when you get it :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I guess if you can work the Iphones you can work the modern sewing machine. I don't much about sewing machines but it would not surprise me if there was an app for them. I've managed to skip the whole smartphone trend but you can save lots if you are willing to go with an older one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on that new machine - I know you're going to love it! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't been able to watch NCIS because it's on the same time I am sitting in a cold hockey rink, watching my son practice. No spoilers!! xo

    ReplyDelete

I am SO glad you stopped by! No proving that you're a robot here ... I want to hear what you have to say! ;-)