Friday, March 6, 2015

Getting Older Isn’t for Sissies

 

I finally gave in yesterday and made an appointment at the hospital’s Express Care Center.  I can see the  hospital from our front door, but I had to drive 7 miles/15 minutes to get to their nearest Express Care Center in the nearby small city.  Thankfully they have online appointment making, so when I finally decided to go (at 4:00 AM), and I could schedule their first available appointment – 8:30.  I got right in, got seen right away, and got a diagnosis with some meds.  It’s a sinus infection.  Seriously?  Given the way I was feeling yesterday morning (sneezing, sniffling [it was like someone had a hose in my nose – TMI?], coughing, achey, feverish), I thought sure that I had the flu - at the least.  Nope, “just” a sinus infection.  Now, I’ve had my share of sinus infections in the past, and I’ve never felt anywhere close to as lousy as I’ve felt with this one.  I wonder if this is just another lovely aspect of growing older? 

 

They assured me that I’d start to feel better after a couple of days’ worth of antibiotics … and I sure hope so.  But at least there’s a little hope … I actually slept last night … an hour and a half in the recliner while “watching” the hockey game and 8+ hours in bed.  Of course, that could have been a result of lack of sleep the last couple of nights (a total of 7-8 hours Tuesday and Wednesday nights) … I might have just “passed out” due to lack of sleep (who can sleep when they can’t breathe and can’t stop coughing, I ask).   Hopefully another good night’s sleep tonight will help almost as much as the antibiotics, wouldn’t you think?   

 

I got more progress made on T#3’s quilt … not as much as I probably would have had I been feeling my best, but progress is progress.  I’ve finished all the blocks, have marked the borders and have quilted almost half of one of the 4 borders.  I’d like to have all the quilting done by the end of the weekend, but I suspect I’ll be finishing this up next week.  Even so, I should have this finished more quickly than I thought I would, considering all of life’s interruptions … I started quilting on January 26. 

 

The fat quarter bundles I ordered last week arrived yesterday.  Each little bundle is approximately 3”x3”x3” … and tied with a pretty bow.  Aren’t they adorable?

IMG_1287

 

And don’t forget to turn your clocks ahead tomorrow evening!

IMG_1290

 

I hope that whatever you have planned for today includes a little something that brings you joy ... have a great day!
Kathy

23 comments:

  1. hope you get to feeling better quickly - usually the antibiotics kick in rapidly - Bonnie Hunter on Quiltville had just posted she had a bad sinus infection while traveling and had to run to a clinic also - I hope these things aren't going around - I tend to over think these things when I know I will be getting on a plane shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you're feeling better SOON! Any illness concerning the sinuses is miserable!

    Kathy (from Reflections by Kathy)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you feel better, my youngest son, said, " I have never been this sick in my whole life." I have to agree with him. I don't think it is you are getting older I think it is just this bug.
    I just love those fat quarter bundles. I sewed all day yesterday at my machine. I expect to do that today too. I am glad you got to keep quilting. I am also very, very glad you are sleeping. I hope you feel back to normal very soon Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy you got some medicine and I hope it helps you to feel better quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So excited about the time change!!!!
    Hope you feel better!!! ... my teeth are killing me & I'm praying its a sinus thing & not a dental thing! Always something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you have time to rest and recuperate. Sounds like you need it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you saw a doctor and hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Feel better soon and you are right, getting older is not for the weak of heart!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hoping your sinus infection goes away soon; my daughter had the same kind of deal when she went to MD--she thought it HAD to be the flu as she felt so bad--but they told her sinus infection. After 2 days on antibiotics she felt a LOT better.
    I think it is harder to throw off infections as one ages. I know it is for me. hugs and feel better....Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad you went in and got checked out and have some antibiotics to take. Hopefully they will act quickly! It seems as we get older it takes longer to recoup after illnesses or injuries. I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope the meds help and that you are feeling better soon! Sleeping will help, I'm sure. Take care - everything will wait until you are better. Anymore, illnesses don't always seem the same - I never thought about it being because I was older! Could be ??!!! Take care. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. What are your plans for the fat quarters?
    I think I will loose the whole effect of an extra hour as I fly back to the Midwest Saturday.
    Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yikes. Glad you went to the doctor and got it figured out. Lots of rest and taking it easy should help. There seems to be lots of things going around this year and it takes forever to feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well like everybody else I am sure glad you went into the docs and got some medication. I don't think it's that your getting older, I think it's that the bugs this year are just that nasty. I've known several people who just can't shake them. Sleep will help for sure. Oh how I hate to feel too sick to sleep. But looking for your "up side" lol at least you have gotten in lots of stitching even if it isn't at your usual quicker pace. I am loving those fat quarters you got! Soo pretty! I am working on a pillow today for the nursery. I have nothing in mind. Just playing with the fabric left over from the quilt, bed skirt, and sheets. Sometimes I think I'd be better with a plan but I have noticed this in the making of some of the quilts I do too. I have only followed a pattern once. The rest of the time I think I am going to like something and put it together and realize no I really don't, And the playing begins, lol. On this pillow I am wishing I had more fabrics. Oh well, we will see. As for how I line up my binding honestly I don't really pay that close of attention. So maybe if you looked closer it wouldn't look as straight, lol. I just even up my fabric, cut 2 and half inch strips (quickly I might add, I don't fuss) and after I square up my quilt I just lay it on and sew away. Now when I am attaching them to the back by hand I use my seam line I attached the binding with for where I line up my binding and stitching, I have never had a problem with it. But then again for all I know maybe they are not perfectly square or perfectly straight, lol I square my quilts up by using the border seam and measuring out the same distance all the way around and trimming. I don't know if that is even the way you are supposed to do it but it has always worked pretty well for me. Your quilts on the other hand ALWAYS look like the epitome of straight, and well done. Like I've said numerous times wish we lived closer so we could run back and forth and SEE what the other is doing. Pictures just never tell the whole story. Rest up and feel better Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sinus infections and ear infections can take a turn for the worse. Glad you got in and have meds to help you start to feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  16. so glad to hear you were able to get a diagnosis and some help for your illness. It's amazing how a local infection affects the whole body.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hoping your much, much better soon. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, Kathy, I am so sorry. It is just no fun to be sick, and I don't think it makes a whale of a difference how old you are, still no fun. Hope you're over it all really quickly. XOXOXO <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, so sorry you are under the weather and I do think these "bugs" hit us harder when we are older and it seems to take a little longer to get rid of them. Yes, aging is NOT for sissies at all. Sending get well wishes your way!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are so right. I'm trying to remain in denial but my arthritis is a constant reminder. My husband calls his "his injury". Yeah, well that 'injury' is getting pretty permanent! :D Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hope you start feeling better soon, and hopefully it's not a misdiagnosis! Rest and get better!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hoping this sinus infection heals quickly! Must be a bad one to cause you so many achy side effects. Don't push the quilting... instead push some chicken soup and vitamin C to strengthen your immune system ;) Great progress on the quilting though... being on the borders! Congrats on your yummy new fabrics! And thanks for the reminder on the time change... my honey told me last night and I was shocked it as happening already! ha :) Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  23. Speaking from personal experience I know that sinus infections are terrible. Hopefully the antibiotics will do the trick. I got my fat quarter bundles too and my only regret is that I didn't order more of them!

    ReplyDelete

I am SO glad you stopped by! No proving that you're a robot here ... I want to hear what you have to say! ;-)