Monday, March 30, 2015

Home Again, Home Again


While I’m missing my fellow quilters and being pampered (and overfed), I’m so glad to be back home … back to my own bed, my sweet hubby, and my normal routine. 

I wish I had a lot of fabulous photos to share with you all.  I took my camera but failed to get it out during show and tell.  The shop will share photos on their Facebook page but probably not for another week or two. 

There was a pretty diverse group of quilters at the retreat.  While most were in their 50s-60s, there were a couple in their 70s and one in her 30s and a few in their 40s.  Most were from the Springfield area, although there were a few from further downstate (not all that far from my neck of the woods) and one who came down from the Chicago area.  Most of the retreaters were repeat attenders (the shop hosts 5 retreats/year in the Springfield area) and all knew each other pretty well, from the local quilt guild and/or previous retreats, but they made sure I felt welcomed.  I shared a corner of the room with Sue, Cindy and Mary.  They were a lot of fun, and I can’t wait to quilt with them again at a future retreat. 

I was able to paper piece 4 more pineapple blocks Friday and Saturday.  When I read that, I think that I must have been slacking to have only pieced together 4 blocks … but when I remind myself that the blocks were 14” and contained 57 pieces, I’m feeling like such a slacker after all.IMG_3307
This is my designated retreat project, so I know that it’s going to be a long-term project.  I now have a total of 7 blocks finished, with 18 more to go.

I also paper pieced 2 more of my pineapple minis Sunday morning.  These blocks are 3”.  IMG_3308Here’s a close up.IMG_3309These minis are made from scraps leftover from making T#1’s and T#3’s first big boy quilts.  Awww, the memories.  When I first started these blocks a full 2 years ago, I intended to make a block a week, but obviously that plan fell by the wayside, I’m sorry to say.  I’d like to recommit to finishing this project, as I have about a dozen more blocks to make.  I’m not sure what I’ll do with it or how I’ll quilt it, but I’d like to have the blocks all made sooner rather than later.

The retreat center was right on Lake Springfield and was right next door to the Lincoln Memorial Gardens.  I had been looking forward to getting out for a walk through the Gardens, but it was just too chilly for me to venture outdoors.  It got down into the lower 20s Saturday morning.  This is the view from the dining room window.IMG_3306

The shop will be hosting another retreat at the end of July and another at the end of October … I’m hoping that everything will work out that I can be back up there for at least one of those, if not both.



After a weekend spent with the machine, it’ll be especially nice to be able to get back to doing some hand stitching today … my Kiss quilt is feeling neglected.  Winking smile

I hope that whatever you have planned for today includes a little something that brings you joy ... have a great day!
Kathy

16 comments:

  1. Hoe fun! I just know I'd love doing something like this. I love those blocks you worked on too! LOVE them! Goodness, 57 pieces! I have seen a few tutorials on paper piecing and it sure looks interesting. I will have to try that someday. Glad you enjoyed, but your right...no place like home! Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. was that Springfield IL or Springfield MO - I'm thinking IL as I didn't think you were driving distance to Springfield MO - I am about 3 1/2 - 4 hours from there.
    What happens if you go to a retreat and then you are not in the mood to sew - that is why I have never gone to one because I only feel like sewing when I feel like - what if I am not in the mood - I would feel like I had a totally wasted weekend if I just sat around and couldn't get in the mood to use my sewing machine?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Pineapple blocks are really gorgeous. I love that block and the blues all look so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! New friends, a beautiful setting, and sewing!!! Your blocks look great - I think you got a lot done - very productive. Have a great week! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you had such a fun productive weekend!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the colors of your pineapple block. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. So glad you were able to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad it worked out for you to be able to go to the retreat. It sounds like you enjoyed yourself, and your projects are lovely.

    Kathy (from Reflections by Kathy)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you had fun, made friends, and got to enjoy at least looking at the lake and the landscaping :) I am sure your quilt missed you and is back on the road to completion! Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad you had a good time and I don't consider you a slacker at all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those blocks are very labor intensive. I'm impressed that you made that many--especially knowing how hard it can be sometimes to make something that takes concentration with all the chatting and fun going on at a retreat!
    Looks like a beautiful location. Too bad it was too cold to get out, but I can't go walking in those temps, either. My joints take a day to recover!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so glad you had such a nice time. What lovely blocks!! I think they are just amazing. So many pieces.
    It sounds like quite a weekend and looking out that window it is just beautiful. I think It would be so much fun to go do something like that. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous quilt blocks! I'd say you got a lot done...as you say, there are a lot of pieces! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice quilt blocks which are crisp, precise and perfect. I also would have enjoyed taking a walk in such a scenic setting. Maybe you can next time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad you had such a good time. It looks like a beautiful place on the lake. As always, you quilt pieces look so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The retreat looks like fun, and those little 3" pineapple blocks are just great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good Friday Blessings to you dear friend, I loved hearing about your retreat. My bff in Ca. and I used to go to retreats every year and I must say I miss that. It was so fun to get away to sew and I was really a beginner then(so it was nice to have her with me to help). Now that I can sew as often as I want, I bet it would be easier for me. I really need to talk to her about going on one again-but it would probably meaning my flying and I don't do that alone. I pray that whatever you will be doing on Easter will be blessed.
    Hugs and love,
    Noreen

    ReplyDelete

I am SO glad you stopped by! No proving that you're a robot here ... I want to hear what you have to say! ;-)