Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge



 
1. 'In like a lion, out like a lamb'...does the first part of this saying describing March weather ring true  where you live?
March most definitely came in like a lion.  We had 8” of snow Sunday.  I’m so hopeful that we won’t have to wait until the 31st to have lamb-like weather.
 
2. March 4th is National Grammar Day. What common grammatical error bothers you the most?
It might be easier to share which one bothers me the least although a couple at the top of the list would be “your vs you’re” and “of” instead of “have” (as in “I could of danced all night”).  In addition to being a weather geek, I’m a grammar geek, too. 
 
3. William Arthur Ward says- 'The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.' Which one are you?
All of the above, depending on the situation.  Sometimes I’m all three with the same situation.  Winking smile 
 
4. What's something you need to 'march forth and conquer' this month?
Filing our state tax return.  Turbo Tax offers free e-filing for federal returns, which we definitely take advantage of.  But we refuse to pay to have our state returns e-filed … especially since the Illinois Department of Revenue offers free online filing.  It’s rather a pain to have to re-enter all the numbers, compounded by the fact that we owe taxes to the state.  I’ve been putting it off, but I need to get it done.

5. An ongoing debate around here...do you dust first, then vacuum or vacuum first, then dust? Of the two routine household chores, which do you dislike the least? How's that for wording?
Dusting … if only because vacuuming is DH’s responsibility.  Besides, it seems like as I finish up dusting, the furniture that was dusted first is ready to be dusted again. 

6. According to thrilllist.com, the ten most photographed sites in the U.S.A. are-Cinderella's Castle in Orlando, Southernmost House in Key West Florida, The Space Needle in Seattle, The Site of the Boston Massacre in Boston, The Bellagio Lake/fountains in Las Vegas, The Lincoln Memorial in Washington DC, Coit Tower in San Francisco, The Art Institute of Chicago, Niagara Falls, and snagging the number one spot-The Guggenheim Museum in New York City.
How many on this list have you photographed? Which on the list would you most like to visit and photograph?

I’ve photographed the Art Institute of Chicago (back before the days of digital cameras, so who knows where that photo is now), and of course I’ve photographed Cinderella’s Castle (in 2008 and in 2013 … and hopefully again some day before the Ts all grow up).2008_0510FloridaTrip20080024I didn’t even know about the Southernmost House when we visited Key West … I did photograph the Southernmost Point while we were there … is that close enough?  ha!  If we get back to the Keys (and I hope we do), we’ll have to check it out.  We dream of visiting Boston and DC, but we just can’t seem to pull ourselves away from Hilton Head when it comes time to plan a trip.

7. Fifty years ago Monday (March 2, 1965) The Sound of Music premiered at the Rivoli Theatre in NYC. Have you seen the film? Do you own a copy? On a scale of 1-10 how much do you love it (or not)? Ten=best movie ever. If you're a fan, what's your favorite scene or song from the movie?
I’ve seen snippets of TSoM and am familiar with it.  I’m not a fan of musicals, so I doubt if I’ll ever see it from beginning to end.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
I’m now on Day Three of the “crud”.  Annoyed   While it may be keeping me from doing too much of anything (including getting a good night’s sleep), it’s not keeping me from making progress on T#3’s quilt. 
IMG_1284
I hope that whatever you have planned for today includes a little something that brings you joy ... have a great day!
Kathy

18 comments:

  1. Your quilt is wonderful! You must be getting anxious for the finish soon. It is so beautiful and striking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how everyone has a different take on dusting. Such an unexpected, hotly debated topic. Fun questions this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the texture in your log cabin! I started cutting strips out of plaids to start my first log cabin and made one block! Love it but really need to give my DIL's quilt my attention right now. I hated when I lived in Missouri that people would say yous. What is with that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the story as much as the music in the film. Ah, the weather. I feel your pain. I thought I could go to boot camp this morning as it's raining and not snowing, but the driveway is a sheet of glass still from yesterdays snowfall. I keep thinking about how grateful we will be this year when spring arrives, how much we'll appreciate the change. Feel better soon! Snow and sickness are a tough way to begin the month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The quilt is looking fantastic! Enjoy your day and I hope you feel better. You've had the crud long enough! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopefully you feel better soon. DH had it bad for 5 days and felt icky for 2 weeks a few weeks ago. Great progress on the quilt - it looks great. Sound of music - guess since they settled in VT I saw it a lot. My HS even did that as a play and performed it at the Trapp Family Lodge for Maria before she passed. I used to take my walk past a few of their houses when we live in Waitsfield too =) Speaking of walk - the fog has burned off enough I'll head out for my walk. Hopefully I don't see a black snake again today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the quilt is looking great - of your list of most photographed places I took a photo of the southern most point also but didn't see a house - I am usually in the mountains so my pick of photos would be totally different. I am not a grammar geek so could care less on that kind of thing. I hate dusting and do it when I feel it finally has to be done. I liked the Sound of Music but musical are not my favorite, I watch it now and then but rarely. We should be getting snow later today 3-5 inches expected, our biggest snowfall for winter and hopefully the last!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was afraid I'd be the only one who didn't care for TSOM, so I was relieved to find that you're not a fan either.
    I hope 'the crud' leaves you soon! Feel better :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good morning! I wondered if this would find anyone who didn't care for the movie, lol. We are all so different, which is what makes this interesting. Yay on making good progress in spite of having the "crud". I am excited to pick up the quilt and see how it's come out. Enjoy your day and keep resting and stitching away!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dusting is my least favorite housecleaning chore. We live in a very windy, dusty area and it's an ongoing struggle. I hope you're over the crud and feeling much better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The quilting is progressing along so nicely. I love how the pattern shows so well. Thanks for sharing pictures with us. So close to be finished!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't it fascinating that common interests unit us and differing ones don't separate us? I love that about blogs such as this. We can celebrate our differences while enjoying our likes. The quilt is coming along so well. Hope you feel like getting back to it soon. Just don't dust until you all well. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Grammar is my bugaboo too. Guess it comes from a school teaching mother! My pet peeve is "me and so and so" did this or that! LOL

    Me? Dusting last, but does it really matter? It is all dusty again so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope the crud ends soon! But you are making fantastic progress on your quilting. I usually dust first, then vacuum, I guess thinking some of the dust is going to end up on the floor? I like the Sound of Music!

    ReplyDelete
  15. WHAT???? No Sound of Music for you? I can watch it over & over... I have the soundtrack on CD, on my iPod & even have a cassette of it :)

    Feel better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My husband always waits until the last minute to file our taxes. He still mails them in. I am a fan of musicals but can't seem to get into The Sound of Music yet I do love the songs. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do love that castle and hope to go back and see it some day. But like you, right now I can't seem to get past time spent at Myrtle Beach.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've often thought about Hilton Head but for a vacation. What are some of the things you like about it? When I think of Hilton Head I think golf....what other things does it have?

    ReplyDelete

I am SO glad you stopped by! No proving that you're a robot here ... I want to hear what you have to say! ;-)