Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Wednesday Hodgepodge



 
 
1. Are you cooking Christmas dinner? How many will be round your table this year? What are we having?
No.  We don’t have a formal dinner at Christmas.  We’ll be doing appetizers for Christmas dinner (on Christmas Eve) … buffalo chicken dip, cheese fries, stuffed mushrooms, veggie tray, etc.  Since our Christmas will be an all-day thing, we’ll be having it at DD’s, so the littles can nap in their own beds.
 
2. What is one must-have Christmas cookie in your house?
It just isn’t Christmas without spritz cookies … pressed into wreath or tree shapes.  I’m the only one who likes spritz cookies, but they just say Christmas to me, so we always include them in our Christmas baking (even though they give me fits … they never seem to want to stick to the pan … I’m sure it’s operator error … any hints??).

 
3. Santa likes a glass of milk with his cookies. Do you? What kind of milk is on tap at your house-skim? almond? soy? full fat (Gasp!)
No … neither DH nor I like milk.  But we do keep milk in the house … for the Ts.  2% … with Hershey’s syrup, of course.

 
4. Time magazine recently named their 'Person of the Year' for 2011. This is the person the editors believe had the greatest impact, for better or worse, in the past year. This year they chose 'The Protester'. Your thoughts? Who would you name Person of the Year for 2011? 
Not "The Protester".  I'd rather honor/bring attention to those unsung heroes who make a real impact in people's lives.  Our military, teachers, police officers, fire fighters and countless others make a greater impact, in my opinion. 
 
 
5. December 21st is National Flashlight Day... when was the last time you needed a flashlight and did you know right where to find one?
I don’t believe we’ve lost power at this house in the 3 years we’ve lived here (we’re not far from the hospital, so I suspect we’re on their electrical grid).  But I do need to use the flashlight when I refill the soap dispenser in the kitchen sink … the reservoir is back behind the plumbing pipes and the disposal, so it’s dark back in there under the sink and hard to see how full it’s getting.
And yes, I know where the flashlight is.
 
6. candy canes...yum or yuck?
The only hard candy that I’m a fan of is Chocolate Parfaits, so I say “yuck” to candy canes.

 
7. What Christmas carol lyric means the most to you? 
Follow the star to a place unexpected
Would you believe, after all we've projected,
A child in a manger?
Lowly and small, the weakest of all
Unlikeliest hero, wrapped in his mother's shawl -
Just a child -
Is this who we've waited for? 'cause...

How many kings step down from their thrones?
How many lords have abandoned their homes?
How many greats have become the least for me?
And how many gods have poured out their hearts
To romance a world that is torn all apart
How many fathers gave up their sons for me?

Bringing our gifts for the newborn Savior
All that we have, whether costly or meek
Because we believe.
Gold for his honor, and frankincense for his pleasure
And myrrh for the cross he will suffer
Do you believe?
Is this who we've waited for?
How many kings step down from their thrones?
How many lords have abandoned their homes?
How many greats have become the least for me?
And how many gods have poured out their hearts
To romance a world that is torn all apart
How many fathers gave up their sons for me? 
Only one did that for me
All for me...
All for you...
 

Although this line from Mary Did You Know always gives me goosebumps:
Mary did you know that your baby boy will give sight to a blind man?
Mary did you know that your baby boy will calm a storm with his hand?
Did you know that your baby boy has walked where angels trod?
And when you kiss your little baby, you have kissed the face of God.


8. Insert your own random thought here.
I need prayers please ... DD is having some complications from her surgery.  Depending on what's going on, I may be AWOL here for a while.

Wishing you all a very blessed Christmas!


11 comments:

  1. I will keep your daughter in my prayers. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your post as always...will definitely keep you all in prayer. In case I don't get another chance, have a VERY Merry Christmas! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the words to "Mary Did You Know", too.

    Praying that DD will soon be well...Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your song! The words are so meaningful. Will hold your daughter up in prayer. Have a Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prayers lifting up for your DD. God is in control! Mary Did You Know is such a beautiful song. I love it! Have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the little sign on your window sill "I still believe".

    Oh, and I love milk...and now that you posted it...with hershey's chocolate syrup!!!---yes indeed.

    You and DD both are in my thoughts. May there be little complications and the road to recovery swift.

    My two separate posts today:

    1] New Orleans Conclusion
    and
    2] WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE

    Hope your day, so far, has been a glorious one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both of those songs are wonderful. I'll be praying.

    Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear about the complications- we will keep her in our prayers! Hopefully it's something quite simple and will be over with very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. First prayers for DD. I love the song Mary did you know. Also the idea of appetizers all day is great my poor step mom cooks all day. Next year God willing I want to have Christmas at my house.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll be making my Spritz today! Nips are awesome. I always loved the coffee ones.
    I love Mary Did You Know. Keeping DD in my prayers. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

I am SO glad you stopped by! No proving that you're a robot here ... I want to hear what you have to say! ;-)