Friday, November 23, 2012

Friday Fragments - Post Thanksgiving Day Style


Mommy's Idea

I'm a little late linking up with the Friday Fragments today ... but it's still Friday, so these fragments qualify as Friday Fragments!  ;-)

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving at DD's.  Our experience with roasting the turkey in an electric roaster pan went better than I thought it would.  It didn't take as long to cook in the roaster, so "Tom" had to sit in the roaster to keep warm while we finished up all the sides ... which meant that our white meat was a little drier than we'd like.  The skin didn't brown up quite as much as it does in an oven.  Of course, it might have been a result of DD adding a can of broth to the pan so there'd be plenty of liquid for gravy.   No matter - no one cares that much for skin anyway.  ;-) 

We learned a few lessons: 

  • next year, start the turkey later so it will be done at the "usual time" (without having to wait on the sides)
  • put everything together the day before (all we had to do Thursday morning was saute the onions and celery, put together the stuffing and cook the turkey and sides - it made for a much more relaxing morning)
  • place all the Ts in plastic bubbles for the 2-3 weeks leading up to Thanksgiving so no one will be sick (this is the third year in a row that at least one of the Ts has been sick on Thanksgiving)


We've got the two girlies here today.  Mama has a vendor fair this weekend, and Daddy went in to the office today ("under the radar"), so the boys are with DSIL's mom and the girls are with us. This way neither grandma should be too exhausted from having the grands ... and we both get some time with the Ts.

I took down our fall/Thanksgiving decorations this morning.  Depending on whether DSIL needs to go back into the office/helps DD with the vendor fair tomorrow, we may or may not have the Ts again.  If we don't, we'll go get our Christmas tree and finishing putting up our Christmas decorations.  It'll be a win-win situation either way.  ;-)


Today I'm thankful for:
  • A wonderful Thanksgiving with my favorite people

  • Having my girlies here with me today

  • DH fixing a pot of chili for dinner this evening

  • A sunny day today - even if it is chilly and windy

  • A full tote of food to go to church on Sunday to replenish the local food pantry after Thanksgiving




12 comments:

  1. Seems like we're always on that learning curve, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi my friend, Sounds like you were blessed with a wonderful Thanksgiving too. Our was so quiet only have 5 of the grands instead of 10. The food was so good, we all had seconds(it was around 1:00 that we ate)so hubby and I didn't eat dinner last night. Yesterday I took down fall decorations and today totally decorated the house. I miss having daughters to help. I also realize why seniors often downscale. I have worked since ten this morning, a total of almost 7 hours and I'm bushed. Thankful it is all done though.
    I hope you have a wonderful weekend my dear friend.
    Hugs to you Kathy,
    Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like it was a very nice day. That is so nice you can switch with the other Granma too.
    I was so tired today. It was a blessing though and I would do it again in a minute and I know you would too. I have sure enjoyed your Thankful list each day.
    Have a nice evening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're not late - - - I've even done my frags a time or two on Saturday morning when my Friday slipped right through my fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had my Princess today so that her Dad and Mom could go shopping. She was so good and I got a lot of cleaning done and some decorating done. Company all left his morning and I'm trying to find "normal" again. Whatever that is........

    Sounds like you had a great Thanksgiving. Ours was too and the meal turned out great!

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hope you got a chance to put up your Christmas decorations! seems like you had a great Thanksgiving Day!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you enjoyed your day with your grandkids. I'm going this morning to pick up our granddaughter. She's mine for the whole day and I'm so excited. Her mother doesn't like me so we don't get to see her as much as we'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Dad does the turkey in an e3lectric roaster which sits on his washer in the laundry room. We've never done skin in out family either. The years that I'm there he photographs it for my scrapbook then carves it and brings out a gorgeous plate of meat. Grandma laughed at him for getting the electric roaster, but it sure came out tasty.

    It's a blessing to be with kids right after Thanksgiving when the whole Santa vibe starts to buzz. Hope you enjoyed the gilries, but I bet that was easy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not familiar with an electric roaster but I guess it frees up oven space which is at a premium on Thanksgiving. Glad you had a nice day with family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you did a lot of cooking Thursday morning and you consider that relaxing?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a nice dinner. My husband loves dry meat, drives me crazy but gravy helps.

    ReplyDelete

I am SO glad you stopped by! No proving that you're a robot here ... I want to hear what you have to say! ;-)